Search

English Gardens

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Cher4travel

English Gardens

In London for week in September. Interested in gardens close by or within a daytrip. Any suggestions? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Ann

Chelsea Physic Gardens <BR> 66 Royal Hospital Road <BR>London, UK - England SW3 <BR> 20-7352-5646 tube Sloane <BR> <BR>Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew <BR>www.rbgkew.org.uk/ near Richmond, Surrey <BR> <BR>Royal Horticultural Society Gardens Wisley - further out but well worth a trip for a day out. www.rhs.org.uk/garden/mn_rhswisley.asp <BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:51 AM
Gloria

I second Kew Gardens. It is an easy subway ride to the lovely village where, at Kew, you can enjoy several beautful conservatories and museum. They even offer a small, slow moving car that will take you around the park. (We enjoyed that as we had gone there from the Portobello Road Markets!) <BR>They also have a shop where you may purchase flower bulbs, seeds, and other nice items. I loved it, any flower lover will! <BR>Cheerio! <BR>Gloria

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 03:29 AM
cee

It is a treat to see all the flowers at the covent gardens flower market on a sunday. It is not seeing plants in the grounc but nevertheless.I think the roses in Regent park will be done but that is also wonderful.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:55 AM
elaine

Here's some more info <BR> <BR>The Museum of Garden History. for info: <BR>www.cix.co.uk/~museumgh/ <BR>mghidx.htm#content <BR>Located at the southeast end of the Lambeth Bridge, on the other side of the Thames, opposite the Houses of Parliament and next to Lambeth Palace. <BR> <BR>Sissinghurst Castle and Garden: Famous 5.5 acre garden created by Vita Sackville-West and her husband Harold Nicholson. Remains of Elizabethan mansion. Arrive early in the day, and try to avoid weekends. <BR>Train from Charing Cross to Staplehurst, then taxi. Phone 01580 712850. Hours for Sissinghurst (www.national-trust.org.uk) are (check this) 1-6.30pm Tues-Fri and 10-5.30 Sat and Sun, closed all Mondays. Beautiful as Sissinghurst is, it is pretty small (10 acres) and can get overcrowded; timed tickets are issued and you might not get entry on a weekend. <BR> <BR>The website www.ngs.org.uk covers the National Gardens Scheme for England and Wales, and includes a Garden Finder: you select by county and by date. <BR>If you enter "Gardens" on www.nationaltrust.org.uk/themes.htm you get an alphabetical list of National Trust properties with good gardens. The English Heritage page on gardens on http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...x.asp?mkey=145 shows selected houses and castles with good gardens, though you have to use the link on most buildings to find what county they're in. <BR>Fifty gardens, from "The Independent" newspaper <BR>http://www.independent.co.uk/50_Best...it/index.shtml <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:22 AM
x

to keep the two tpgether

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Kat

Not to be contrary but I'd skip Kew -- it's more of a scientific specimens museum rather than a garden. <BR> <BR>BUT DO NOT MISS the RHS gardens at Wisley, a mere 35-minute train ride from London's Waterloo Station. Fabulous, to-die-for, drop-dead wonderful. <BR> <BR>Also worthy of a day trip from London -- Beth Chatto's garden at Elmstead Market (take the train to Colchester; about 50 minutes). <BR> <BR>Both the Chelsea Physic Garden and the Gardening Museum are well worth visiting.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:59 PM
cher4travel

ann, gloria, cee,elaine,& kat <BR> <BR>Many thanks for all the wonderful information you posted for me regarding gardens in and around London...now I can really go to work. I appreciate all your information and help!!! <BR>Cher4travel

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:16 PM
adina

I'm not sure how you would get there on a day trip but Scotney Castle Garden would definitely be great. Someone should be able to give you more info on getting there.