Provence: Vermont Bike Tours

Jan 16th, 2001, 08:40 AM
jill

Provence: Vermont Bike Tours

Had anyone used VBT in Europe? Please tell me about your experience, specifically if you did Provence. The other company I am looking at is Backroads- one of their tours that fits my time frame of May 20 is Portugel and Spain. I have business that ends in Barcelona, and trying to attatch a vk at the end.

Jan 16th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Sandra

Hi Jill,
I used Backroads in Calif about 5 years ago for a week end trip in the Wine Country. We were watching our pennies so we opted for the camping option and other than coping with sleeping in tents everything was first rate. It was amazing how our leaders prepared wonderful meals in their portable kitchen. One of our group is a bit of a gourmet and she was very pleased. As for the biking part - the bikes provided were fine, the routes well mapped and the van came around often to see if we wanted a ride. We were going from winery to winery so the van was sweeping behind us and picking up any wine purchases so we didn't have to carry them back on our bikes. Both VBT and Backroads have excellent reps but both are a little pricey.

Jan 21st, 2001, 09:57 AM
jill

Anyone else/ Please?

Jan 21st, 2001, 10:45 AM
Nano

Jill, my sister did a bike tour in Tuscany last year with Backroads, which she loved. She also did a walking trip in Costa Rica with Backroads a few weeks ago and while she didn't love all the driving they did between stops, she thought Backroads was a great company.

Jan 21st, 2001, 08:52 PM
jill

thanks, anyone else?

Jan 22nd, 2001, 06:06 PM
willibob

Our first trip with them will be to the Loire in May. Members of our bike club have been on several trips with VBT and think they're great. Hope they're correct!

Jan 22nd, 2001, 07:26 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi,

I took a bike tour in Ireland this past May with a local Irish outfit.

A member of our group raved about VBT - said it was her favorite for a combo of riding, convenience, price, and luxury - they don't coddle you, but it was a bit more upscale from our Irish experience (which, for me, I thought was great).

I myself have never been on one though. So this is merely second hand telling...

Beth

Jan 30th, 2001, 03:03 PM
jill

Besides a bike tour- what reccomendations would you have for someone traveling solo thru this region?

Jan 30th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Pam

Hi Jill, I have not yet done a trip with VBT but hope to some day. I do know others who have done their trips and spoke very highly of the quality of the operation and the attention to the detail. The $ is high but the value and experience was superior. The trips in France are their speciality and they have an office in the Dijon area. Good company and good people.