Search

English

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 06:35 AM
UK

English

I am British(English), and hoping to go to continental Europe. However I am curious if there is strong anti- Engish sentiment around. The reason I ask is due to the strong anti-european stance most of the newspapers (especially the tabloids) take towards the EU. I am interested in what the Europeans think of us, and each other.

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Sheila

In the last 2 years I have visited Greece twice, Italy and Spain and found nothing to give me pause. <BR> <BR>My husband travels round Europe onbusiness and finds the same. <BR> <BR>In 1999 he was in Moscow just after "we" bombed the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade and that was not fun. They never went out except door to door and never allowed a discernible American accent to be heard. <BR> <BR>In the autumn we were in Crete and there was quite a lot of anti-Nato graffiti, but it was aimed more at the Americans. <BR> <BR>Never has anyone given me a hard time because of what Piers Morgan thinks of the EU- fortunately

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Myriam

I have never heard about an anti-English sentiment here in Belgium. On the contrary, I think that the British are very welcome (as well as citizens from all over the world). All of us are becoming more and more world citizens. <BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 11:23 AM
Florence

Unless you start a conversation about British beef versus local beef, you should be safe on the Continent. Most of us see French-bashing as part of the English way of life, kind of a national sport, as is our habit of deriding your food. We'd be worried to meet an Englishman who's not critical of France, something wrong with his/her health maybe ...

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Patrick

I've never understood why but on several occasions we've been mistaken as British and when we say we're American, suddenly we got the royal treatment, as if that were much better. This was especially true on the coast of Turkey, and in the Dordogne region of France. Both these areas are concentrated with British, so maybe it was the novelty of independently traveling Americans that made them welcome us. But at the time it almost seemed as if they resented us to be British.

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 09:34 PM
sandi

By no means, Fodorites, consider posting your 'bios' on this forum! The crackpots, and cheap shots, will never cease. If you have some sound advice, then give it, but be sure to use and 'alias'. Otherwise, you will be hearing from lots of 'lunies'. Do not state a controversial opinion, or ask a question that has been asked before, and do not venture to bring us any subject that has been ridiculed previously for fear of reviving the old 'threads'. Forwarned is forarmed.!

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 10:37 PM
Florence

Sandi, you should have used an alias, posting such a message ...

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 12:44 AM
Mustangs81

Hello Sandi, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the warning. Though my experience is...I have been using this board for 3 years and I rarely get answers to my questions or responses to my imput never mind being slammed or spammed.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 06:41 AM
elvira

I'm lost here; did Sandi's response belong on a different post? I can't correlate her response to the original question or the responses. And I'm really lost when it comes to the response by Mustangs81.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Mustangs81

Elvira, I didn't make a connection with the original post and Sandi's response either. But I thought I would take the opportunity to comment on her (Sandi's) warning. I was just stating that in the past three years I don't get responses to my posts never mind having crackpots take cheap shots at me. Obviously I "loose" posters just as I lost you. Sorry.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 05:19 PM
nasty man

Sandy <BR>YOu are one ignorant fat hog.