England with kids

Search

England with kids

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
England with kids

Planning a 7-10 day trip to London and 2 surrounding sites/cities with 3 girls (8,10,13) in April '04. Need suggestions for first time travelers.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 03:34 PM
jenifer

There is a section on Fodor's for London with kids, and I know there have been many posts here in the past. I would highly suggest that you read those, and maybe a couple of guidebooks, to get a feel for the basics of what you're interested in, then come back here for more detailed feedback on choices you have left to make.

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 04:10 PM

I have on disc notes on places often visited by first time visitors and on what Fodors forum parents have reported over three years that their children liked in London. I can gladly send both to you if you e mail me.

Welcome to London

[email protected]

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 09:01 AM

London is filled with things that will grab the interest of most kids. That said, all children don't have the same interests any more than all adults do. Some general suggestions:

--an orientation tour of the city may be a good way to start. The hop-on/hop-off bus tours are great for this. A boat tour can also be good with kids...there's even a "Duck Tour" that employs an amphibious vehicle plying the Thames and driving through parts of the city.

--If the weather is good in April, take advantage of London's parks and gardens. Your girls, especially the younger one, may enjoy the fantastic Peter Pan themed playground in Kensington Gardens. Adjoining Hyde Park has stables, if anyone is a riding fan.

I'd start now by involving them in the planning for your trip.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 09:09 AM

woops, hit the "post button" by mistake...

continuing:

--London is chock full of museums, but some kids can take only so much of this activity. The British Museum is popular, but almost overwhelming. London's Science Museum will never bore kids who like hands-on, science and technology exhibits. The Museum of London is also a popular family venue.

--Any interest in theater in your family? If so, London is a great place to visit. "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" may be the most popular family show currently on.

--The Tower of London is also popular with most visiting children...whether it is the Crown Jewels or the tours led by the Yeoman Warders or searching out the Tower's ravens.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Feel free to email me if you have questions.

David White
[email protected]
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 09:45 AM

For interactive historical experiences you can't beat the Tower of London and Warwick Castle, with Hampton Court a good third and lovely in the spring.

At their ages, the girls can help choose venues and plan the trip. Give them a list of the web sites for major attractions and museums, and let them have a lot of input.

Not only do kids get a lot more out of their visits when they're somewhat familiar with a place ahead of time, they can use their time more effectively once there (especially in not getting overwhelmed by a place like the British Museum) and best of all if they hate a place you're not entirely to blame for choosing it!

I used this strategy when my kids were 11 and 13, with very good but surprising results -- they chose places like the Globe Theatre and Sir John Soane's Museum over typical kid venues like the Science Museum and the Museum of Natural History, saying that other cities had places like those. They spurned the Duck Tour (then known as the Frog Tour, IIRC) because our own city has one, but enjoyed the Catamaran Cruiser ride from Westminster to Greenwich; half th fun was in the captain's patter and corny jokes.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 07:15 AM

..I chaperoned choirboys on 2 trips to the uk (2 1/2 weeks each trip)so I have some observations which I think will help..try to involve the kids in some planning and have something for them to read or watch before they go. make sure that you mix activities..example see westminster but then a quiet time doing brass rubbings in the basement of St. Martins in the Field..or go to Warick and see the castle but then sit on the lawn and have a picnic...as to specifics..the red bus tour great for half a day and the children will have "visual postcards" of the city..London Eye especially after the bus trip as we could see places we had been..the London aquarium is next to the Eye, and it is a nice child friendly activity..agree with comments re the science museum and Green Park..the Jack the Ripper tour was a real hit (see Londonwalks web site)..London walks also had a trip to Greenwich which was great..a trip on the Thames and the observatory and Naval Museum on arrival..another great day trip is Hampton Court..not too far and again history combined with good stories ..be sure to take a guided tour..I hope this has been helpful..if you have any specific questions, please dont hesitate to contact me.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 09:39 AM
suzbutler

I agree with the Brass Rubbing Centre at St. Martins in the Field. Kids will love it, prices are reasonable and you have a great souvenir!

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 10:26 AM

My children enjoyed the verger's tour of Westminister Abbey because we got to go a few places tourists aren't generally allowed - including getting to sit where the queen sits. They enjoyed "leading" us in museums using maps to find certain highlights and liked figuring out how to use the tube system. They also really enjoyed the play, "The Mousetrap."