Reload this Page >

England, Ireland and Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:51 PM
Susie

My husband and I would like to take my sons (15 and 12) next summer. Is it possible to make a good trip to these places in two weeks? If so, will you help me with an itinerary? I do not know where to begin! Thank you Europe fodorites!<BR>Susie

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:30 PM
Mark

Start by getting a guide book or two (they are free at the library) and figuring out why you want to go on this holiday and what would be of interest to your family. Then do a search on this site. Then come back to the forum and ask specific questions.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:36 PM
homebody

Susie, Choose only ONE country and enjoy it for two weeks. I have been to all of them and you can't even get a tiny taste of all three in 2 weeks. If you do you will need a vacation from your vacation.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:00 PM
janis

I totally agree w/ homebody. Pick ONE, or at VERY most, a few days in London and the rest in England OR Scotland OR Ireland. <BR><BR>Traveling in the countryside in all three countries takes time - think 35mph. And with four traveling together everything takes longer still.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:26 AM
Cindy

Susie:<BR>My family just got back from four weeks in Scotland, and absolutely loved it! We spent three days in London as well (also two weeks prior to that in Italy and Paris), then rented a car for Scotland. We spent a lot of time in the Outer Hebribes (Harris, Lewis, North and South Uist, Barra--takes some time to get there by ferries), and also on Skye and Iona. My boys are younger, 6 and 11, but loved the castles (especially the ruins that you see off the side of the road, pull over, and climb around in), the creeks, the beaches, the sanddunes. To get to the really good beaches, go to Harris (Luskentyre's to die for!). It'll probably be too cold to swim, but it's still so much fun! My husband and I loved learning about the poignant history (the clearances of the Islands and the Highlands) and the music. We also loved Stirling and Edinburgh, but didn't have time to go a whole lot of other places, including Glasgow, St. Andrews, much of the Borders, etc. You could see a lot of England on the way north if you chose to -- the boys would probably love Warwick Castle (at least the younger one would) on the way, and you could drive through and see some of the Cotswolds as well. We didn't make it to York or to the Lake District, but hear that they are wonderful, too, and on the way. Haven't been to Ireland, and only a little bit of England, so can't compare, but Scotland was fabulous!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:45 AM
carol

I am interested in this for a future trip also. I have ancestors in Scotland and Wales, and would love to see all of the UK in a three week trip sometime in the near future. I know that some people say only do one country at a time, but I thoroughly enjoyed my last three trips which were 2 countries in 3 weeks, in spite of strong recommendations to trim it down to one country.<BR><BR>Some one has to have done this and have some advice.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:10 PM
len gow

3 weeks is fine. Good idea to know what you think the kids will like. Scotland is a small country but good fast roads netween major centres and then on to the slower scenic routes - so Edinburgh to Skye about 7/8 hours with great scenery on the way. Weather is the fact if... if it's good then lots of stops along the way - if it not so good then the scenery is still great but not so mant stops. Need to keep to a flexible itineraray. <BR><BR>The local tourist information centres ate a great source of info and that would always be my first stop in any area. <BR><BR>Who says you have to see it all in one trip - you can always go back next year and concentrate on the parts yuou wanted to spend more time in.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:00 PM
Susie

Thank you all for the advice. Even you, Mark. The reason I didn't do the search first is because I didn't even know where to start! I have guide books for all three countries and I'm still overwhelmed. There is just so much, I have trouble narrowing down the topic!<BR>I like the idea of not doing all three countries. Now which to pick? My kids have never been to Europe, me only England and my husband lived there when he was a child. I am of Irish descent, have fallen in love with Scottish legends and feel obligated to show my children London (I love it there, also). Okay, so does anyone have any ideas where(location) I should go? Names of places not to miss would be much appreciated. I can extend the trip to three weeks. THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:55 PM
janis

Susie: It is a tough decision since all three places are wonderful. And all three have a "pull" on you. But my clue was "fallen in love with Scottish legends". It sounds like you have a deep connection with Scotland. For a 2 week trip consider 4 or 5 days in London and 9 or 10 days in Scotland. Fly open jaw into London and out of Glasgow or Edinburgh. If you get a much better fare into and out of London, that would work too since you could fly cheaply from Scotland to London. You would only need to rent a car for the time in Scotland. You would be able to spend a couple of days in Edinburgh and have a week to go anywhere in Scotland that calls to you.<BR><BR><BR>Carol: there is a HUGE difference between 2 weeks and 3 weeks and staying in GB or trying to squeeze in Ireland as well. If you have 3 weeks you could see a lot including 4 or 5 days in Wales, 10 days in Scotland and a week for London or another part(s) of England.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:15 PM
janis

Susie: I posted before addressing Ireland. Accomodations and traveling around Ireland are really inexpensive - so you could do London and Scotland this trip and then next year or later on plan a 2 week trip for just Ireland.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Susie

Thank you Janice for such great ideas. They help me so much to narrow down my choices. Will Scotland keep teenagers entertained for 10 days? Thanks again!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 03:29 PM
janis

Susie - More than keep them interested. Walking in the footsteps of William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, Bonny Prince Charlie and Rob Roy - Or Sean Connery and Mel Gibson <BR><BR>Great Castle ruins to clamber over and explore. Some of the best "Kid castles" are Dunnottar, Linlithgow Palace, Huntly, Urquhart, Neidpath and of course Edinburgh and Stirling. Plus LOTS of outdoors activities, many kid-friendly museums, and a really interesting music scene.