Search

England: "Here's the Pub, Church and Field for Public Sex‎..."

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
England: "Here's the Pub, Church and Field for Public Sex‎..."

Headline on a detailed article in today's New York Times

and talks about Britons tolerance of public sex - calling 'dogging' and talks about a small cute village with quintessential parish church, local pus and fields used for both gay (day) and hetero (night) public sex that also attracts voyeurs.

fueled by the Internets (one site lists the village, Puttenham, 'an hour's drive from London' as "Europe's number 2 dogging site) such public sex locals are proliferating and, the article says, British law makes it quasi-legal.

Anyway if looking for something beyond the usual tea and crumpets check out Putgtenham on a nice warm day or night!

Here's the Pub, Church and Field for Public Sex‎
Unhappily for many people here, it is also famous for being featured on lists of good places to go “dogging” — that is, to have sex in public, ...
New York Times
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Puttenham Journal - Ancient Church, Welcoming Pub and 'Public Sex ...
Oct 7, 2010 ... Here's the Pub, Church and Field for Public Sex. Andrew Testa for The New York Times. A mat used by people having sex in a field adjacent to ...
www.nytimes.com/2010/10/.../08puttenham.html
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 08:08 AM

"British law makes it quasi-legal."

Well you know why, the people who make the laws are down there too, especially the judges.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:06 AM

No such thing as British law.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM

My faint memory of newspaper reports on various law reforms (he said with a detached tone of voice) is that English law actually got a bit more clearly tough on outdoor sex not so long ago. I don't suppose it's an issue in Scotland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzaVOk_Ydk
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM

...I don't suppose it's an issue in Scotland. ....

Too cold?
It's been going on for years. I'm surprised that the NYT a) has only just discovered it and b) thinks it's worth reporting.
As CW's Aunt Stella said, "I don't mind what they do, so long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses"
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
interestingly, Pal, the link doesn't work - perhaps they've had too many hits!

this is one of those silly stories that foreign newspapers like to print about another country. they pick up a tiny article in a local rag, and suddenly we're all doing it!

and so far as legality is concerned, i suspect that at the very least, they could be done for "indecent exposure" and/or breach of the peace.

sadly, CW is no longer with us - doubtless he could have filled us in on the detail!
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

'British law' - my mistake in paraphrasing the article wrongly - what it said:

"Public sex is a popular - and quais-legal - activity in Britain, according to the authorities and a large number of web sites that promote it.
It is treated as a crime only if someone witnesses it, is offended and is willing to make a formal complaint"

so did not say British law but said such activity is quasi-legal in Britain, according to authorities - presumably Welsh, Scottish, English, etc. Or just a blunder and should have said English.

<English law actually got a bit more clearly tough on outdoor sex not so long ago. I don't suppose it's an issue in Scotland.>

Scotland where men are men and sheep are scaaaaaaaaaared!
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM

>>>
quintessential parish church, local pus and fields
<<<

I always try to avoid the 'local pus' myself... LOL
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM

I love the Brits!!!! They're such a great combo of charming, funny, and "eccentric."(I used to be married to one).
Surprised someone hasn't yet come up with "if people are killed during war in public places, why not engage in far more harmless activities ?"

this thread should be fodder for the Lounge
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 12:25 PM

News bulletin: There's plenty of sex going on in our parks too. (Don't know about the pubs and churches...)
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

wliwl - In Amsterdam too - Vondel Park now offers a place for legal gay sex - about the only restraint being I think they have to stay so many metres away from the childrens' play areas!
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Our local Tescos car-park (lots of weird dark corners and hidden areas was rumoured to be a dogging hotspot a few years ago.

I wouldn't say it's exactly 'popular' though.

It's an extension of the old lovers lane idea. Doing it in a car, but having pervs watch you at the same time, instead of trying to be private about it. Ick.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Unless I know someone is watching I can't put on my best performance. No different than Olympic athletes.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:45 AM

It happens in Ohio as well. Oh dear, I probably shouldn't post this but there is a dog park in our city that has a swell reputation as a place for gay male sex hook ups. I was not aware of this until I took my dachshund and Sheltie one afternoon during the week for a romp in the park's woods and we "interrupted" a session with several men. The dogs thought they were flushing prey out of the woods, instead it was a group of half dressed men. Not a pretty sight. Won't be going back there anytime soon.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:12 AM

I remember when I was out with the dog when I was a little kid in a very rough ground common field, long grass, lots of bushes, the dog suddenly got very excited and took off into the long grass. 'What have you found girl, is it a rabbit?' I yelled as I gallumphed in after her.

No, it wasn't a rabbit. Although they did look like a rabbit in the headlights.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM

There are even songs written about the practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzaVOk_Ydk

Hilarious!
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM

"British law makes it quasi-legal."

Comes under the category of "as long as they don't scare the horses".
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:35 AM

RedStater on Oct 11, 10 at 12:14pm
>>There are even songs written about the practice.<<

Gee, I thought that was going to be a link to "Why Don't We Do It In the Road?".
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM

"There are even songs written about the practice."

And practice makes perfect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -