Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

England: food/dining in Yorkshire, Lake District?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to hear about memorable food or dining experiences in Yorkshire or the Lake District.

Are there local dishes you highly recommend? Places you really liked? I am interested in comments about atmosphere as well as food.

Especially interested if there are relatively local (versus vacationer-oriented) places, but - really, would like to know of anything you liked or would recommend avoiding.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM

I met a friend in York recently and we had lunch at Melton's Too. There's a cafe/bar on the first floor and a bistro upstairs set in an old rope factory. The food was delicious (eclectic menu) with good wine selections by the glass. Here's their website:

http://www.meltonstoo.co.uk/index.html
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks for reply.

apparently this was posted twice. Blame Fodor's this time - or my isp -first time I tried I got a screen saying I could not go there, or something. But anyhow, sorry.
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:44 PM

No problem...I just didn't know if you knew how to top your posts. Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:05 PM

Author: Morgana
Date: 05/04/2004, 03:16 pm
I live in Yorkshire - and I LOVE food - so I should be able to help you. But Yorkshire is a very big county and it would help if you let me know what area you were thinking about. If it's anywhere near me (North Yorkshire, near the Dales) I can suggest some fabulous places.
The local Yorkshire dish is obviously Yorkshire pudding but this doesn't necessarily feature in many restaurants - every Yorkshire housewife can whip some up with the Sunday roast.
M

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:02 AM

If you are in Grasmere, get some of the gingerbread sold in the old school house. It's delicious.

You have probably read it already, but in York, don't miss Betty's Tearoom.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies. Morgana - I'll be there for the better part of 3 days -some time in York, some time driving around. Any recommendations are welcome - if compelling enough they could become destinations.

As I think noted - more interested in good moderately priced or cheap places than fancy dining experiences.

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Kings Head Inn in Hawes city centre. Everthing we had was smothered in thick, delicious gravy. Yum!
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:27 PM

Hi Elizabeth
I'm not sure about your budget but here's the insiders list of some of the best eating places in North Yorkshire. I can assure you that these are all fabuolus! They all have their own websites so if any interest you, you can look at location, sample menu's etc.
1) Betty's Tea Rooms - situated in York, Harrogate and I believe Ilkley. Betty's is a Yorkshire institution, perfect for afternoon tea and cakes. They also sell wonderful gift ideas such as beautifully packaged tea/coffee/cakes/chocolates. www.bettysandtaylors.com
2) The Star Inn at Harome - 14th century Inn - probably has the best reputation for food in North Yorks. www.thestaratharome.co.uk
3)The Angel at Hetton - maybe the second best reputation!ww.angelhetton.co.uk
4)Red Lion at Burnsall. Situated deep in the Dales, picture postcard village, stunning scenery, great food. Went here for Valentines Day in Feb and my husband still raves about the liquorice ice cream - www.redlion.co.uk
5)Devonshire Arms, Bolton Abbey (the brasserie). A few miles from the Red Lion above. Again a gorgeous situation - Bolton Abbey is so beautiful and this brasserie is lovely. Try for a window seat overlooking the hills.
www.thedevonshirearms.co.uk
6)Yorke Arms, Ramsgill - quite remote but if you are touring the Dales this place is well worth a detour.
www.yorke-arms.co.uk
Hope this helps.
M
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Another vote for tea at Betty's -- very memorable and yummy. We went to the one in York -- there may be others elsewhere in Yorkshire.

Enjoy your visit, it's a wonderful part of the country.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - leaving tomorrow (but will probably check email before heading to York on Monday). This is really helpful. If the weather is bad, food-hunting will probably become a focus as I'm not much for spending long periods of time outdoors in the rain.

I knew about Betty's, but you've given me the excellent idea of a Betty's focussed trip, seeking subtle comparisons.