Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

England and Scotland in July. Help with itinerary.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is 81 and I'm 73. We've been to England many times but have always rented a car. This time we would prefer to avoid the stress and use other means of transportation. Our overall plan is to spend 6 days in Scotland, 4 days in the Lake District and a week in Cornwall where we have accommodation (I think we'll have to rent a car while we're there). We're there from July 16th until Aug 4th - flight times included and we travel light - only carry on. So far we've thought of this: Arrive in Heathrow, spend 2 days in London by Euston station and take the train to Glasgow. In Scotland our goal is Oban and Tobermory and from what I can see it's a train and then a bus - there and back. (maybe too ambitious?). Then a train to the Lake District for 4 days. Then train back to London and then to Cornwall? Seems like a lot of trains - even if the scenery is beautiful. Should we cut something out? Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 09:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just very quick -- I'd seriously consider a Rabbies tour in Scotland. They are very long established, and run very popular small group tours -- 16 passengers max but often fewer..

Like this one as an example https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-...ona-3-day-tour

They do other 3-5 day tours that include Mull - this is just one with main focus being the island
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Janisj, I've been researching this tour company since you responded to my query and I think it might just be the answer.
It will be the first time we've ever taken a tour. We've always been so independent but realize if we want to travel we have to do it differently. Thank you for responding.
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 11:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
train Lake district to London and then to Cornwall?

There will be trains into Manchester and then down to Plymouth and then Cornwall. Start with nationalrail.co.uk and follow the process through.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 05:09 AM

We've used Rabbies for side-trips out of London and throughout Scotland. Knowledgeable and polite driver/guides allowed us to relax and soak in the history and surroundings. It's not the cheapest option, but a good value for the comfort of the Mercedes van and not worrying about driving.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 06:59 AM

I would be very wary of relying too heavily on trains to get around the UK. We have had lots of industrial relations issues going on over the last year resulting in many strikes and much travel disruption. Had you done this trip last year , I think you would have been very lucky not to have experienced significant disruption to your plans. There seems to be no end in sight and I am not hopeful that things will have improved by July.

Of course, I could be being too pessimistic and thing may all get resolved in good time but forewarned is forearmed at it would be good to have. plan B up your sleeve.