Engadine weekend trip

Search

Engadine weekend trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engadine weekend trip

So this weekend I am going to Engadine from Zurich. I have 2 days, the second day I need to leave Pontresina at around 6 PM. I would be staying in Pontresina.
So I plan to go to Soglio and Val Bregaglia on day 1(the entire day), leave at around 9, come back by 7, any pointers on where to find the best views, I could walk upto 3-4 hours.
On the second day, I could ldave early in the morning, go to Monteratsch, go to Boval hut and maybe go up the Bernina Express and come back, which would be a good train station to go to? Is this doable?
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 08:20 AM

Difficult to recommend a 3 hs wals within a 6 hrs stay at Soglio. I would rather walk down from Sogio to either
Castasegna or Stampa (1-2 hrs according to the trail you choose).
or check the panoramic trail Casaccia - Soglio (about 5 hrs). The hike is shorter if you begin it at Vicosoprano instead of Casaccia.
https://www.postauto.ch/en/excursion...E2%80%93soglio

If you go to Chamona Boval, you eill have to go back exactly along the same trail.

Bernina railway: go at least up to Alp Grüm or may be up to Poschiavo.
You could also do a round trip Pontresina - Bernina - Tirano - Colico - Chiavenna - Maloja - St. Moritz - Pontresina (takes 6 hrs without any intermediate stop, stopovers highly recommended)
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 09:45 AM

Given the time you have in Bregaglia valley, I'd say get off the bus in Stampa. Walk across the bridge via Coltura up to Soglio. There's a museum on the Giacomettis in Stampa, a castle worth seeing is along the way in Coltura (check if open), have a quick look into the church on the left side before you walk up the many stairs to Soglio (A stained-glass window by Giacometti). The views are similar as from the Panoramic Trail, except for the first part (acceptable loss). Explore Soglio. Have lunch in Soglio, my favourite is the lovely garden of Palazzo Salis.

Walk down via the waterfall and the chestnut grove to Castasegna. If time allows, walk to Bondo and check out this cute village (church with frescoes, peek into the garden of another Palazzo Salis). Walk to Promontogno, where you can catch the bus back.

For the second day I'd highly recommend taking the Bernina train to Alp Grüm for best views. After poking around (maybe walk up to restaurant Bellavista, even better views) take the next train back to Diavolezza and take the cable car up for most stunning views - and then back down. Walk back to Morteratsch. The trail up to Boval hut is quite exhausting, probably still snow covered and the hut not open yet. So that's a no. Take the train back to Punt Muragl and take the funicular up. Famous views.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, all the suggestions are great.
as anyone done the Munt Pers hike? How do the views compare?
Also, how does Diavolezza compare with Corvatsch?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Also, I would like to know if there are any regional specialities I should look out for, any particular dishes, chocolate, cheese.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 09:34 AM

You're going this coming weekend, right?

Munt Pers will have more than 1 m snow. No way you can hike there.

Corvatsch cable car will not run yet.

Local/regional food specialties are Capuns, Pizokels, dried beef (thin slices) and cheese plate. And "Engadiner Nusstorte" (Engadin nutcake) - best at Kochendörfer's (bakery/pastry shop in Hotel Albris) in Pontresina.

Buy cheese from the Sennerei Morteratsch, shop is next to the Tourist Office in Pontresina if I recall correctly. For chocolate/pralines go to Cafe Hanselmann in St. Moritz.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 05:30 PM
kja

For food: Pizokels!
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 09:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Kja -

We found some fabulous Pizokels in Ilanz last week. Capuns too. Lovely.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:37 PM
kja

@ Melnq8 -- Good for you! I'm jealous, but I can't be TOO jealous -- I just got back from a glorious month in Greece.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 02:09 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
ashwinb, can you report back after, .....we head to this region in September and am collecting lots of great ideas.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 04:42 AM

Guess you're there by now. A number of times we were given or offered via a menu dried meat. Seems to be a big thing in the Engadin.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lo everyone, I had a great time.
I reached Pontresina on friday evening, had dinner at the Pontresina Youth hostel(was staying there as well). The dinner had pizzocheri and a soup, pretty good food.
The next, I woke up with a really sore throat and a bad cold, but I managed to get through the trip, I guess the weather healed me. I went up the Bernina Express to Alp Grum, which was great, but I liked the surroundings at Bernina Ospizo more, the entire journey was pretty good.
I went up Diavolezza, which was fabulous, a lot of snow around there, so you can't walk much. But the cable car ride and the restaurant and viewing platform up there were great. Lunch was at Colani Stubli, had a great asparagus soup and a Gnocchi. In the evening I went up Muottas Muragl, which was again brilliant, spent a couple of hours up there, had dinner(Rosti and soup) and came back to Pontresina.
The next day, I took the bus to Soglio, I did not want to walk much, so I just wandered about the village, and it was great. The garden was closed unfortunately. I walked a little on the way to Stampa, the views were nice, but I wish I could have gone to alp Tombal. Had a good lunch at Stuva Grande(Nettle soup, Polenta and chestnut cake, all exceptional) and came back by bus to Sils Baselgia, walked around the beautiful lake, the banks had amazing wildflowers, took a bus to Silvaplansee, and walked around a little, I really loved the lakes, the setting is unbeatable, Iwish I had more time for them. Later, I took a train back to Zurich.
So, all in all a good trip. It's great that you get a pass which works on all buses and cars, if you stay for more than 2 nights. I would come back for Corvatsch.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the report! Glad you enjoyed the trip despite the bad cold. Yes, go back, a perfect time is early-mid October when the foliage is at peak - incredible golden colours of the larches e.g. Oh, and there's more to see than Corvatsch alone, think of Fex Valley for example.