Engadine hotels Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing some looking I seem to be having a problem finding a place to book between Christmas and New Years for 3-4 days.

We need two rooms, one with room for three, we will have a grandson with us.

My daughter would like a nice place with an indoor pool and a hotel that includes board to make it easier.

I like the little towns with character and charm.

Any ideas for hotels that don't require a full week and ones that are likely to have openings?

Thank you all!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 03:01 AM

Hi brandsberg,

That's a really really tough order, as I guess you're discovering. The problem is that it's usually the high-end hotels that will have indoor swimming pools, and they're the ones that get booked up first and won't accept reservations for less than seven nights! I'm going to Switzerland over Christmas myself, and I made my reservations a few months ago!!

I did a quick search at www.engadin.ch, and got a negative result. But I also got a message to send them an e-mail with the specific request so they could work on it individually. That's what I suggest you do. At the www.engadin.ch site, you have the option to select either "St Moritz," (Upper Engadin) or "Scuol," (Lower Engadin). Go ahead and do both (though I think you'd prefer the Lower . . .).

Maybe someone will see this and offer some specific suggestions!

s
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:18 AM

we stayed at a fabulous place years ago in scuol. had everything you are stating. got it through a german vacation group.. it was a huge spa, palatial type place.. had two different restaurants, pools, and shuttle to the slopes.
if i find the name, will post, but that area is fabulous.

we took the train all the way from spain there. another experience in itself!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Sorry to say that, but I am absolutely sure that you will have NO chance at all. The nice places as you describe them are usually booked a year ahead - the guests make their reservation when they leave.

The place lincasanova talks about is either the Scuol Palace or the Schweizerhof (Vulpera), both Robinson Clubs, running by the German Travel Company TUI. No available rooms there as well, I am sure.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Ingo, got a positive respons from hotel in Poschiavo, Hotel ALBERGO CROCE BIANCA- no pool. Do you know anything about this place, how far from skiing.

Have written my daughter to look into this hotel but they are in Pontrestina as we speak.

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Hi again,

Poschiavo is in a sunny, warm area very close to the Italian border. While still in the Graubunden (sp??) Canton, it's not technically in the Engadine Valley.

But to answer your question, I think it'll be about 30 - 45 minutes by train to get to the skiing from Poschiavo. I don't remember *exactly* where the skiing is, but I think it's probably after the stop for "Alp Grum."

Have you tried to e-mail the tourist offices?

s
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 07:49 AM

S is correct about the location. You will rarely find snow on the ground in Poschiavo. It is not a ski destination, but I love it as a charming small town.

The Croce Bianca seems to be nice, with a good restaurant (have not stayed there, though).

The next Alpine skiing area is Bernina-Lagalb and Bernina-Diavolezza. Very snow reliable, but not very large. Would be good for two days IMO. Best train is leaving 9.30 Poschiavo. Takes about an hour to Bernina-Diavolezza. (It is the Bernina Express route). Back 3.30, 4.30 pm from there. If I recall correctly they offer discounted passes incl. ski and rail.

You could also continue from Diavolezza towards St. Moritz - Ski bus is most sufficient, running every 30 minutes. Get off at Celerina (takes another 30 or 40 minutes I think) where you have access by gondola to the skiing area of St. Moritz.

Once more, I don't think you'll find a room as requested in St. Moritz or the neighbouring villages at this time of year.

Ingo
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:33 AM

yes! the scuol palace.. hope you are lucky. it was through robinson club.
i would go back in a minute.
loved the area.

only thing i was shocked at was how poorly watched the children were by their parents.( this was a totally german group. we were the only "foreigners&quot
sometmes they were running wild all over the place, and in and out of the lift when that was totally prohibited.

but.. the rest was so marvelous..
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I hope we get lucky as I LOVE the area. We have been back a couple of times, stayed by Tarsp and Guarda last year. What a wonderful area, seems like the true Switzerland!