Empress Zoe Istanbul; best rooms

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going round and round about where to stay in Istanbul, March 2009. I have reserved at Dersaadet, but now I am leaning strongly toward Empress Zoe. The Special Double with private terrace looks nice, but is very small 13'x9'. It does have a terrace with a view of the sea. I'm not sure how much use we would get of the terrace in early March. Has anyone stayed at the Empress Zoe? If so I would like some recommendations on the rooms. I understand that there is some construction going on at the Four Seasons next door. I'd appreciate any info that would help me to make up my mind.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking at the penthouse suite. Anybody with any info?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 03:44 AM

I have the same question as Opaldog - there seems such a choice of rooms, at varying prices. Does anyone who has stayed there have any recommendations?

Thanks

Alan
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

I ended up reserving the penthouse suite at the winter rate. It's more than I normally spend on lodging. I have been staying in apartments for quite some time now, but I am opting for the Empress Zoe this trip. Tripadvisor gave many positive reviews of the penthouse suite at the Empress Zoe.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM

If you are worried about the construction at the Four Seasons next door to the Empress Zoe, that is the least of your worries. The "call to prayer" from the Blue Mosque 5 times a day (once at day break) will be worse than any hammering.

The Empress Zoe is a cute little hotel. I have walked past it, but never ventured in. When we went on a cruise of the Bosphorus, we met guests of the Empress Zoe and they said that the hotel was very nice.

Thingorjus
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM

I stayed at Empress Zoe for about 8 nights in Oct 2001 - tried three different rooms - one of which was penthouse suite. It was fabulous. Yes the call to prayer in the morning is a wake-up call - but what a wake-up call and you can see Haghia Sophia from bed - and the blue mosque from the terrace. It is a wonderful place.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

It all sounds wonderful. I can't wait!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM

It is wonderful. If you want a good place for lunch or a cheap no frills dinner try the Can restaurant on Divanyoulu Cd. We often stopped there for a cup of coffee and baklava in the afternoon while we rested our feet.

Istanbul is a lovely city - in fact I am now thinking a return visit is in order with stay at Empress Zoe.

Finally if you are a cat person be sure to say hello to Jaspar at Empress Zoe - he is a lovely cat.

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

I was actually looking to go to Paris when I came across a good airfare from Boston to Istanbul on Swiss Air. It was too good to pass up. It's our first visit and we are excited to go.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Weekender

I stayed at the Empress Zoe last year and thoroughly enjoyed. We had two rooms, the garden suite and the deluxe garden suite, which are both in Chez Zoe. Very roomy, great beds and bathrooms. You will be given a key to a private entrance into the hotel.

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM

I've stayed there and had a single room on the top floor with windows on two sides. I liked the hotel. It was small and quaint and the owner, who's from San Francisco, was there every day. I stayed there not long after the big Istanbul earthquake and since I'm also a Californian thought I'd stay at a hotel owned by a Californian who's also used to earthquakes...in case of another one while staying at the hotel. At least we would know how to do evacuation and first aid if necessary.
The hotel is in the heart of things and the Topkapi(sp?) Palace is just down the street...to the left as you exit the front door of the hotel. So, I say go for it. You will really feel like you're in Istanbul staying at that hotel. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Weekender

I agree with Guenmai. The Empress Zoe was sold out the last couple of days of our stay and we moved over to the Ritz-Carlton. We all preferred the Zoe.

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Thanks everyone, excellent replies. We've opted for the Garden Suite for four nights next April - the Penthouse was our other favourite, but just a little expensive!

I love their website - especially spotting the cats in the pictures!

Alan
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 03:52 AM

Opaldog: We loved the Empress Zoe, but our room was very much impacted by the 4 Seasons construction. I feel so bad for so many of the little hotels and businesses in the area. Here is what I wrote when I returned in Frebruary:

Author: josephina
Date: 02/06/2008, 08:56 am
To Cheesehead, who is considering going in May and anyone else wondering about the Four Season's construction:

It's still going on. And the work has not moved inside yet. Apparently, the work has threatend the area's UNESCO World Heritage status and so there have been considerable work stoppages. Just not during our stay!

We stayed in the two-floor Maison Zoe duplex, which has one bedroom, the living area, and one terrace/view impacted by the ongoing work. Here's a photo:
http://tinyurl.com/26xpvb

The trucks would pull up and run engines around 7:00 a.m.; the construction would start at around 7:30 a.m. There seemed to be an hour lunch break, and then the work would resume to 5:30 pm. We were there over the weekend, and there was no day off.

If your bedroom is on the garden, "sea" side, I doubt that the noise would impact you.

Other than that, we loved our stay and would return. I have no idea whether or not we would stay in the duplex again. It's pricey, especially considering the terrace now will look directly into the rooms of the Four Seasons.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM

Could you please tell me why you preferred the Empress Zoe to the Ritz-Carlton, Weekender? That is hard to believe.

Thingorjus
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Weekender

The Ritz lacked any semblance of charm. Yes, the rooms and bathrooms are great but that is where is stopped. The Empress Zoe oozed charm and we had the Four Seasons across the street for our daily doses of refinement.

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I read online that if you stayed in the original building the construction would not impact us. We are in the penthouse suite with views over the sea and mosque. It would be nice if the construction was more or less completed, but I will go with an open mind and enjoy it all.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM

I thought the Ritz-Carlton Istanbul was one of the most well-appointed and comfortable hotels I have ever stayed at. I also just loved the pool with all the high-priced hookers walking around.

Did you see any?

Thingorjus
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM

I adore the Empress Zoe. I've stayed there twice (4-6 days each time).

The first time I went with married friends with two children. Half the time we stayed in the Family Suite and half the time we were in the Deluxe Garden Suite. The family suite is fine but somewhat crowded with 3 adults and 2 children.

The Deluxe Garden Suite, however, was wonderful. So the second time I went to Istanbul, I made sure my friends booked the DGS from the beginning. On this trip, there were 4 adults and 1 child (I went with another family of friends and a girlfriend). Our married friends and their son stayed in the room facing toward the Four Seasons/Blue Mosque and my girlfriend and I had the twins (converted from settees) in the combination kitchen/dinette/living room that overlooked the garden with the old Hamam. The ensuite bathroom was in-between. The breakfast is very good and I love the garden.

And to be honest, I love the call to prayer.

Enjoy Istanbul...it is one of my favorite cities

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

I love all the positive replies. March 2009 seems a long way off, but I love to plan and read up on my destination. I have just begun to read "Istanbul" by Orhan Pamuk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -