Notices

electricity converters

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:56 PM
vicki

electricity converters

Where is the best place to buy electricity converters in the US. When I traveled through Europe last year each country had different outlets. Is there one 'universal' converter? Thanks, Vicki

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 04:13 PM
anne

Samsonite sells a converter/adaptor kit with all styles of plugs you need. They are usually available at any good luggage/travel store or at your local AAA office.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 04:29 PM
###

They also stock them at Target, about $20.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Walter

In Europe the "voltage converter" would be the same, that's the transformer which steps down the voltage (~220V to ~110V, 230/115, 240/120). It's the "plug adapters" that would be different. Try http://kropla.com/ Regards, Walter

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Linda

Vicki, I believe you are talking two different things. A converter changes the voltage, e.g., down from 220V so a 110V appliance can use it. An ADAPTER allows you to use a one plug in a different type of outlet. Is there a "universal" adapter. No. However, adapters are very inexpensive and you will probably need no more than 2. Most of western Europe uses the two pronged plug (tho there are two types in Italy) with round plugs. Great Britain uses a three-pronged plug with flat prongs. You can probably find any type in most large hardware stores at home for under $2 each. (Or, you can pay more and buy a "kit" at places that sell specialty travel goods--then you will be set for anything, but you'll pay for that convenience.) You can almost certainly find them in your host country at a hardware or department store. And most decent hotels have a supply of them under at their reception desk for the use of their patrons.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Mika

I have at least a dozen different converters, but I always have the wrong ones with me. Usually you can buy one in the country (or in the hotels). The craziest ones I know are from India, South Africa and old hotels in Britain. Îf everything goes wrong, cut off your plug and stick the cables into the socket. Believe me it works.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 07:48 PM
vicki

Thanks everyone for your help! Vicki

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Linda

Mika, it may work, but it can be very dangerous and is a fire hazard. Please don't do this! Or, if you do, please make sure I'm not in your hotel with you.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Maurice

we ended up buying an adapter locally. The CONVERTER from Canada did not work in the Paris plugs because there was a lip around theplug (like a jar lid glued on backward). This blocked the square block of the CONVERTER from plugging in. FOrtunately, the hair dryer we had came with a 120-250 switch, so we bought a local ADAPTOR. (The one that has no electronics.)

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Art

Vicki, I have a converter with all adapters needed in Europe. I paid about $16.00 at walmart (I think). You have to worry not only about the voltage but also the wattage. Mine converts the voltatge from 220/250 to 120 and also has 2 settings for the wattage (high for hairdryers.)
Even though you have a voltage converter, you can still do damaage if your wattage is not set correctly.
Regards
Art

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Joyce

VICKI,
TRAVELSMITH.COM HAS A 1500 WATT HAIR DRYER THAT WAS GREAT! I HAVE THICK HAIR. (THE DRYERS IN THE HOTELS ARE USELESS) IT HAS A SWITCH TO CONVERT TO 220. I ALSO BOUGHT A UNIVERSAL PLUG FROM THEM WHICH I USED IN ITALY AND MY SISTER USED IN FRANCE (THEY HAVE DIFFERENT PLUG SHAPES)JUST GO ONLINE AND BUY IT.