Reload this Page >

Electrical outlets......

Search

Electrical outlets......

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:44 PM
Duke

Electrical outlets......

This may be a stupid question, but are the electrical outlets in Europe different than the ones in the U. S. (you know 110 and 220)? <BR> <BR>Are there any adapters I should get here in the states so I can keep my camcorder batteries charged? I don't want to miss anything on my once-in-a-lifetime trip. <BR> <BR>Thanks. Only serious posts please.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:48 PM
Walter

Try this site http://kropla.com/ Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:56 PM
katina

This gives me the opportunity to mention that I've seen posts about people who "switch" their hairdryers from 110 (American) to 220 (Europe) and still have problems. A friend of mine has just lent me her hairdryer that she bought in Europe and it has 230 volts written on it. Wonder if this is the difference?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:00 PM
Diane

Yes, there are adapters you can get. My husband used them to recharge his shaver twice in Italy. By the way, we carried around a hair dryer and a travel iron that we never used or even took out of the suitcase. The less you carry the better.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:03 PM
John

Duke: You will need an adapter to fit your US plug into their European outlets. Also you will need a convertor to convert 110 to 220 unless your appliance has a switch on it for both currents. DO NOT ADAPT YOUR APPLIANCE WITH AN ADAPTER AND PLUG IT INTO THE WRONG CURRENT, IT WILL BURN OUT THE APPLIANCE, MAKE SURE YOUR HAVE CONVERTED THE CURRENT ALSO. Some hotels have one outlet in the room, usually in the bathroom, that will accept US plugs and have 110 current. <BR> <BR>HOPE THIS HELPS.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:30 PM
Linda

Katina, if people can "switch" their appliance, then it is switchable, i.e., it is dual-voltage, 120 and 230, for instance. The 230V German hairdryer is single voltage and is not switchable. Those that are say something like 110/230, or 120/220, etc. Supposedly, if it is switchable, there should be no problems any place in the world, as long as you have the correct plug adapter. Personally, I've never had any problems with my dual-voltage appliances and swear by them.