El Escorial - parking safety

Sep 26th, 2001, 09:47 AM
CathyM

El Escorial - parking safety

We're going to be driving from Toledo to Segovia and wanted to do a day trip to El Escorial. This would mean we will have our luggage with us in the rental car. I've read many books and posts that specifically state not to leave luggage in your trunk if at all possible.

Is there secured parking at El Escorial? Is there anywhere nearby we could store our luggage? We could store it at the train or bus station in Madrid but we'd have to back track as we're heading to Segovia. Alternatively, we could drive on to Segovia and leave it at our hotel, but again we'd have to back track.

Perhaps I'm being too security conscious...

Sep 26th, 2001, 10:25 AM
mary lewis

We wondered the same thing on a recent trip to Spain. We had to leave our car several places while on day trips - with all our luggage in the trunk. The first thing you should do is make sure you get a car with a trunk - not a hatchback - this may seem obvious but make sure and reserve specifically to get a car with a trunk. That seems to be the biggest deterrent - not being able to see what is in the trunk. Then we took the added step of bringing along a bike cable and padlock. We then wove the cable through the luggage handles etc. and attached it to somewhere in the trunk before locking. Not sure this would actually keep someone from stealing your stuff but it definitely would take them more time to get to it. We may have been overly cautious doing this - but it gave us peace of mind and we had no problems! Have fun in Spain- we enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sep 26th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Paul

Cathy: Maybe you'll get some responses from people who are more informed, but since I spent a few days in El Escorial, I thought I'd give my impression: I did not have a car, but it did not seem to me to be a place to worry too much about security. I do seem to remember parking around the monastery itself, but can't be positive.
Have a good time.

Sep 26th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Surlok

El Escorail is so small, that I believe that if you car has a real trunk and an alarm as well, you luggage will be safe. Honestly, I don't think that there would be thieves there willing to go into the hassle of trying to open the car trunk, and being surely arrested for doing it.

Sep 26th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Gloria

Hi, Cathy,
We parked near the monastery and had no problems. It is a wide open area and was secure enough for us. We were on a ten driving tour of Spain. We took everything in each night as we had been warned by hoteliers to do so. We had no problems leaving our car during the day with our luggage in the trunk.
Do you have a place in Toledo? We stayed at a fabulous inn outside the city. We had the corner room with a fabulous view of Toledo. On a walk on the grounds, you can see what inspired Goya for many paintings. It is said he painted while at this spot.
Have a wonderful trip! Spain is lovely!
Gloria

Sep 26th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Maribel

Cathy M,
We parked in El Escorial this past June on the main street (Calle Floridablanca), a short walk from the entrance and left all our luggage in the trunk for 3 hrs. Since we parked in a "blue zone", we needed to put coins in a machine to receive a ticket (2 hr max) to place in the window. After our allotted 2 hrs., one in our group left the monastery briefly to put more coins in the machine to add an additional hr. Because we parked on the "main drag", a busy street in front of several hotels, restaurants and the tourist office, we felt quite safe in doing this. As Surlock assures you, El Escorial is a very small town; I spent an entire month working there one summer and always felt extremely safe-everyone knows one another -they don't have the theft problem that has plagued some southern cities. We've parked a car there with covered hatchback (luggage not visible) and also a larger car with trunk and have never worried about our belongings. And I like Mary's deterrent-the cable and padlock idea.
Hope you and your friends have a wonderful time!

Sep 26th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Rosenatti

Just to add my voice to the chorus... Also en route to Toledo, we left our luggage locked in the trunk of our car for several hours while visiting El Escorial (we were fortunate to be in the main parking area opposite the entrance) and had no problems. Hopefully our experience was more the rule than the exception.

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Pedro

You never know but I am almost certain if your luggage can not be seen you will not find any problem in places as Segovia, El Escorial, etc. Those small cities are quite safe.

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:58 AM
diane

I suggest that you try not to be SEEN putting valuable things in the trunk. If you stand there loading cameras, purses, etc., in the trunk, letting expensive-looking luggage be seen, you might attract an opportunistic thief. Stick your stuff in the trunk when you leave your last place (restaurant, etc.), and just get out of the car and enter the site you are visiting. How is anyone going to know that your trunk is full of valuables?

Sep 27th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Jose

I live 15 Km far from El Escorial, and I can tell you that no problem will be found.

El Escorial is a little village, but with a high economic level, so it is not a dangerous city.

But as others said, do left cameras... and other objects hiden.

Parking in zone around the monastery, perhaps, is the best choice, and as in this zone you will pay some coins, there will be some corps protecting your car.

Sep 28th, 2001, 12:10 AM
stella

Good idea, Diane. I think I will follow your suggestion everywhere I travel.