Reload this Page >

Phones in Tuscany

Search

Phones in Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Judy

Phones in Tuscany

Help! My husband & I leave Friday for Greve in Chianti & have just discovered we do not have a phone in our villa. Can you rent phones at the Florence airport or car rental agencies?

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 05:57 AM
sandy

If you have a travel agent, get him/her to arrange a cell phone for you with your auto rental. Auto Europe offers a free cell phone with just about every rental. If you're not renting a car, you can get a cell phone from WorldCell : <BR>http://www.worldcell.com/. I recommend that you get the phone before you leave the US. If you act today they can overnight it to you by FedEX.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Dick

Have you ever consider the thought that the villa wanted you to have a great vacation without being bothered by ringing telephones? <BR> <BR>Can't you do without a phone for a few days?????????? Amazing. <BR> <BR>Dick

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 12:47 PM
xx

dick, <BR> <BR>Have you ever heard of children? Have you heard of parents? Have you heard of doing without electrity, or running water (using an outhouse)? <BR> <BR>Have you heard of minding your own business, or not speaking out if you have nothing to add? <BR> <BR>Dick, what an appropriate name.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Dick

Dear xx.xx...........ad infinitum. <BR> <BR>Did you ever hear of actually giving your name??? <BR> <BR>I have children. I have a mother still living. I have cousins, etc. <BR> <BR>I am used to camping in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California at the 7,000 ft level. You bring it in, or do without. Yes, even outhouses. I used to clean them as a kid at camp on the coast in Cambria. <BR> <BR>I have no idea what your point is, but it figures.... MUST BE ABLE TO BE IN CONTACT WITH SOMEONE EVERY SECOND FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. <BR> <BR>I think I heard you at lunch today. <BR> <BR>By the way, that is sooooooo clever the way you use my name. Golly, I had never heard of that before. <BR> <BR>Dick <BR> <BR>Dick

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:06 PM
x

Dick, <BR> <BR> <BR>I can think of no reaction other than <BR> <BR>Dick, what an appropriate name.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 01:25 AM
lisa

my, arent we testy? <BR> <BR>judy, <BR>my husband and i are staying near greve for the next few months and we were there sunday. if you do not want to rent a phone (which can be done at internet point in florence, near the ponte vecchio), you can easily call home using a phone card and pay phone. Go to a tobacco store (they have a T sign hanging above the door) and ask for a scheda telefonica international. They are in 10,000 & 20,000 Lire increments. Look for the one with a tiger on it, it will give you the most minutes. Instructions on the back are very easy to follow. <BR>good luck and email me if you have other questions

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 04:48 AM
canuck

Judy...why don't you get the phone number of the villa manager to give to your family for emergencies and then buy a phone card to check in at home from time to time? Our villa had a phone but we couldn't get calls into it. We actually had a mini emergency when our car at home was broken into and our housesitter wanted to reach us to get our insurance info etc. She just called the emergency number I had left, they came down to tell me to call home and I was able to do that. Might be better than carrying a cell phone all the time.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 04:51 AM
xx

Dick, would canuck's approach be acceptable to you and your sense of adventure?

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Dick

xxx...... <BR> <BR>Absolutely!!!! What is this fascination with having to be accessable 24 hours a day? <BR> <BR>We are going to Europe for 3 weeks next July. I will leave a copy of our itinerary with a friend, with all phone numbers, fax, email addresses, etc. Everyone who needs to will be able to contact him, he can contact us and everybody is happy-happy. Bets the hell out of lugging a stupid cell phone around to look important. <BR> <BR>Dick-------There's that name again.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Judy

Sandy, Lisa, Canuck; Thank you for the info. Got one from the car rental company. And now to Dick....we were like you, going on trips, leaving itinerary, phone #, etc. Until my husband's father died & we were unreachable! That changes a person. We do not own cell phones in the US so we have no thoughts of looking IMPORTANT!