Eighth or Sixth

Jul 2nd, 1999, 06:19 AM
Jeff

Eighth or Sixth

First trip to Paris for my wife and myself.A friend of my wife says you must stay in the Place de St.Michel area in the 6th. A friend of mine says to stay near Champs Alysees area in the 8th for its super night activities. Any opinions?
Jeff

Jul 2nd, 1999, 07:49 AM
elvira

I always stay in the same hotel at the Place St Michel because of the neighborhood, the close metro/RER station, and the view of Notre Dame first thing in the morning.
Anywhere you stay in Paris is close to anything you want, either a short walk or metro ride. Never stayed in the 8th, but cost could be a factor for you (6th is not as expensive as the 8th, overall)

Jul 5th, 1999, 02:29 AM
Vincent

"Super night activities" near Champs Elysées ? If walking down the avenue with a - thick - crowd composed of 80 % fellow tourists and 20 % youngsters from the suburbs is your definition of super night activities, then go for it. It'll be more or less the same picture in Saint-Michel (BTW 5th and not 6th arrondissement). If you want to be near some night activities, try the real 6th (around Odéon, Saint-Germain des Prés métro stops), the Marais (3rd an 4th arr.) or Pigalle (9th - 18th). If you want to be more accurate, e-mail me directly, I'll try to give you some customized advice !

Jul 5th, 1999, 06:42 AM
lynn

Jeff -

Ditto to the above "night activities" comment by Vincent. Whoever told you this doesn't know what they are talking about.

I would recommend either the 5th (St. Michel Place) or the 6th (St. Germain Des Pres). Both good choices.

Also, skip staying near the Eiffel Tower. Lots of people like to but in my opinion, there isn't anything else out there. Much better off in a more heavily concentrated area if you want action, people, cafes, clubs, etc.

Jul 8th, 1999, 05:19 AM
topper

!