Eiffel Tower - stairs/elevators

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought about buying tickets for the Eiffel Tower in advance. I noticed there are 3 elevators. Can you take the stairs the first two levels and then take the elevator to the top? They sell a "stair" ticket but it is not clear if you can then take the elevator to the top OR can you only go to the top if you buy a ticket for the first two elevators?
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:03 PM

The elevator to the third level begins on level 2 (separate elevator from levels 1 & 2) so it doesn't matter if you walk up or take the elevator to level 2.

There is one elevator that takes you to both levels 1 & 2.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:16 AM
ira

Hi cb,

I took the stairs up the ET when I was in my twenties.

It takes forever.

By the time I got to the top of the stairs, my camera had gained 30 lbs.

Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM

I was at the Eiffel Tower last night--went only to the 2nd level (have been to the top on a previous trip and liked the view from the 2nd level best).

We didn't buy tickets in advance because we didn't want to pin down the day and time in advance. We got inspired to go as it cooled off last night (the days this week have been quite hot and sunny), so we took the Metro to Trocadero and walked across the river from there, stopping briefly at the FIFA Fan Fest and its giant-screen TV where hordes of World Cup fans were gathered for the Brazil-Chile game--a great scene.

Arrived at the base of the tower at about 9:00 p.m. The lines weren't that long at any of the entrances, but the least amount of people were at the stairs (you could basically walk right up to the ticket seller and start climbing), the next least were at the prepurchased ticket entrance (maybe 50 people in line there), and the most people were at the regular entrance. It took about 30 minutes from getting in line to getting into the elevator to the second level--not bad at all.

We spent about 45 minutes making our way around the second level, as night began to fall. There was a huge red sun that went down behind the Trocadero and the Fan Fest, and then the lights of the tower came on. At 10:00 on the hour, for 5 minutes, the sparkle lights came on, almost equaled by sparkles from all the flashes going off below (when will people learn that a flash from that distance is useless?). Very, very nice--everybody around us was chatty, excited, and having fun. Even though we had been up in the tower a couple of times over the last two decades, it was still special.

The elevator going down, about 10:15, had only about 10 people in it--I think everybody else stayed behind to take in the Paris night.

You might consider walking down instead of walking up. Not as strenuous, and you still get the experience of being inside the structure.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I am still unsure if there is a separate charge to get to the top if you pay for walking to the second level? Anyone buy the walking ticket then go to top from level 2?
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 10:22 AM

You pay according to each level you access. Yes. You do have to pay to go to the top - level 3. It's the same charge to level 3 if you walk up or take the elevator to level 2. You need to buy an elevator ticket to level 3. Same price for everyone!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:21 AM

I presume you know that the elevator queue time for level 2 to level 3 is often longer than the queue time from the ground to level 1.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:26 PM

when do the lights twinkle in the Eiffel tower?!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Each hour after sunset so in the summer the first time would be about 11:00. Earlier as you move away from the summer solstice. I don't know what time they stop twinkling. 2:00am perhaps?
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Last night the twinkling began at 10 p.m. As the summer goes on, it will be earlier. It's still amazing to me how late it stays light in Paris in the summer, even compared to the northern United States.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might consider whether, 3 months after your trip, you might rather have done something else with the time spent walking up/down. Like dinner? conversation? museum? love? attempted love?
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM

Is it possible to buy an advance ticket for Level 3?
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM

athena,
You can buy them in advance here. If you choose to go all the way up to the summit from ground by lift, it is 13 euro.
http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/
If you choose only to go to level two by lift it is 8 euro.
If you choose only to go to level two by stairs it is 4 euro but you can't purchase the stairs online. You have to buy in a separate shorter line. I did the stairs and I never want to do them again. I am going next week and I am definitely taking the lift!
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM

Aprillilacs,
How crowded was the FIFA fanfest? I want to watch the final game there on the 11th, but don't want to get there and find no place on the grass to sit. Was there room to sit and watch?
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM

Have a look at the stairs before you decide to climb. This may seem obvious, but we heard some people who were amazed that the stairs were all open - like an erector set - like the rest of the tower. They had somehow expected an indoor stairway - and didn't like the idea of being outdoors while climbing.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM

For my husband, it's an issue of moral integrity to climb the stairs. Even if he had to carry our child and I had to lug the stroller.

But...I love climbing the Eiffel. They have stories and pictures to read while you catch your breath. The "erector set" feel is part of the fun.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 04:38 AM

Nadia,
There was definitely room on the grass at the Fanfest, even after the game started. You can sit on the small sloped areas around the center pit, or stand in the center like everybody else seemed to be doing. I would get there before the game starts, though, if you are going to the final game.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks Aprillilacs! It sounds like a fun place to watch and be memorable.