eiffel tower restaurant?

Feb 10th, 2001, 06:00 AM
dimitri

eiffel tower restaurant?

I just got engaged & I am taking my fiancee to Paris for Valentines Day. I've heard there is one or two restaurants in the Tower but I can't find the name anywhere. I tried on the restaurant guide but they go by street addresses. Valentines Day... Paris... romantic enough?! Please somebody help me!! Getting close to deadline... Thanks

Feb 10th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Joel

Dimitri, the restaurant is the Jules Verne. Look for the private elevator at the "pilier sud" (the South foot of the Eiffel Tower. I've eaten there; it's very good. Make sure that before you go your fiancee watches the James Bond flick that features the Jules Verne in the first 10 minutes. It's the one with Christofer Walkken and the the exotic black actress, Grace Jones (?).

Feb 10th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Rex

I can't comment on the particular James Bond film that Joel mentions, but I am pretty sure that you won't be able to get a dinner reservation at Jules Verne for Valentines Day unless you are talking about 2002. Reservations typically take 3 months or more.

The "other" restaurant in the Eiffel Tower is Altitude 95. Not at all the same experience.

Sorry.

Feb 10th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Quicksilver

Don't worry, Dmitri! All is not lost!

You may not be able to get reservations at the Jules Verne... well, probably not... but there are a zillion romantic places to take your fiancée for dinner.

There was a thread just recently with a subject line "Romantic Dinner in Paris" or something like that, but the search function isn't really working for me at the moment, so I can't find it for you. Off the top of my head, a couple of places suggested were Ladurée on the Champs-Elysées (recommended to me by a friend, see http://www.laduree.fr/) and La Fermette Marbeuf (http://www.fermettemarbeuf.com/)

If the search function is working for you, try searching this forum for "romantic dinner paris" or even "paris restaurant." You should find some useful information.

Depending on what your fiancée considers romantic, you may even want to do something different and take her to a tiny, out-of-the-way place that has more "local colour," if you will (personally, I find these "hidden" places the most romantic of all). I think the Leeds Good Value Guide to Paris Restaurants might be helpful here: http://www.parisinsiderguides.com/leeds/

Remember, Paris is romantic *no matter what.* Even bread and cheese in the park is romantic (though perhaps a little chilly in February)!

Best wishes for your trip and your upcoming wedding. Congratulations.

- Quicksilver -

Feb 10th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Peg

Dimitri, I hate to rain on your parade too, but I think it's way too late for Jules Verne. (you may get lucky and there will be a lunch cancellation, it happens)Do a search here for romantic Paris restaurants, it's been discussed lately. Le Fermette Marbeuf in the 8th is a beautiful place with good food (Fixed price dinner 178 FF) Enjoy your trip to Paris, you will love it!!!

Feb 10th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Art

Hi Dimitri, if you can't ge into Jules Verne, there is another resturant in the tower, 'Altitude 95'. It is a lovel lower, but we had a very nice dinner there and is much less expensive than Jules Verne. I made reservations thru
cometoparis.com.
Have a great trip.

Feb 10th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Nancy

The Jules Verne is supposed to be fantastic, but we didn't get to go last November. They were booked for dinner for two months. However, you can probably get in for lunch if you book now.
We ended up dining at La Tour d'Argent. It has a wonderful view of Notre Dame which is lit up at night - very romantic. We really enjoyed it. But very expensive, be prepared. You should be able to get a reservation but book asap. Also, it is very formal. When we arrived, we were ushered into the bar where one can have a cocktail. When you're ready you go to the top floor by elevator. The room is beautiful and all of the tables are good. Then a sommelier comes out with the wine list (actually a large book). Before or after the meal, you can arrange a tour of their wine cellar. We didn't get to do it, but wish we had.
For other options, check out Zagats on line - they have a listing of Paris restuarants. Or buy the book - we bought it for our trip and it was worthwhile.

Feb 10th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Melissa

You might try the Grand Vefour--it's where Napoleon courted Josephine. But I have no idea if you need to make reservations as far in advance as you would Jules Verne. It's fantastically expensive, but very nice.

Feb 11th, 2001, 05:21 AM
xxx

Dimitri I agree with Nancy. Go for La Tour D'Argent. What a fantastic view and our meal was the best we had on our last trip. So romantic that you forget very easily you are eating in a very expensive place. If this is your special accasion I would forget Altitude 95. Fine food but nothing special.

Feb 11th, 2001, 06:29 AM
rich

bonjour
ssome years ago, 10-15?, we managed to get in for lunch just calling that morning. i dont know about val day. in paris, isnt every day valentines day?
give it a try, it is fantastic.

Feb 13th, 2001, 12:29 AM
Larry

I also just got engaged and tried to get a reservation at Jules Verne. They are booked to the End of April for Lunch and the Middle of June for Dinner.

Feb 13th, 2001, 03:26 AM
Fred

Two restaurants - one, Jules Verne, the better and the one you couldn't get into at this date. The other is Altitude 95, more of a brasserie cheaper, more casual. Here's contact information for them.
Jules Verne
Tour Eiffel 2nd Stage
Champ de Mars
75007 Paris
Tel: 011-33-1-45-55-61-44
Fax: 011-33-1-47-05-29-41
http://www2.integra.fr:8080/top-rest...egorie=1&nom=l

Altitude 95
Tour Eiffel 1er etage
Champ de Mars
75007 Paris
Tel: 011-33-1-45-55-00-21
Fax: 011-33-1-47-05-94-40

Feb 13th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Gina

To piggyback on Dimitri's question: a good friend and I will be in Paris during the first week of April. We'll go back to a couple of restaurants that I really like (she's never been there before), and use the always-reliable Sandra Gustafson's Cheap Eats in Paris to pick many of our other restaurants...but we want to do one "big splurge" during our stay. I had thought to book Jules Verne, but I see that we'd be out of luck there. Does anyone have any great "big splurge" recommendations, that are not necessarily "romantic"? (I.E., my friend and I aren't planning on tenderly gazing into one another's eyes while being serenaded over an intimate dinner.)

Feb 13th, 2001, 10:10 PM
Melissa

My sister Burta is now vacationing in Hong Kong but would like to post that her fave "big splurge" restaurant is Taillevant, supposedly the best restaurant in Paris.

Feb 14th, 2001, 03:52 AM
Justin

Dimitri is already in Paris. Today is Valentines Day so whatever you will say from now on won't help him any way.

Feb 14th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Gina

Thanks, Melissa!