Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

OK, I've done my homework and I remain SOOO CONFLICTED! Two Great choices - same price - Due Torri or La Residenza???

OK, I've done my homework and I remain SOOO CONFLICTED! Two Great choices - same price - Due Torri or La Residenza???

Feb 13th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Char Meade

My message says it all - which one???
DT is by Piazza Navona, LR is by Via Veneto.
Traveling with a companion who needs a cane once in awhile so walking to all the sites is not a big consideration. Most important is: Which hotel offers the most charm.
Which one has the nicest common areas.
Which one has the most gracious staff.
Which one is in the best neighborhood for 4 women traveling together for restaurants, shopping and general ambiance.
Thank you so so much for your feedback!
Thanks to all of you, I have this happy decision to begin with!!!

Feb 13th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Ellen

Can't comment on DT, however LR was my least favorite hotel in Italy. Location is superb, just off Via Veneto, close to the magnificent Villa Borghese & Spanish Steps. Ambiance & charm - 0 on a scale of 1 to 10. The room was big, but the furniture was right out of shabby 60's USA. King size platform bed with rust colored bed spread and formica night stands. Ugly armoire. Yellowed walls, nothing remotely attractive at all. Didn't even bother to take a picture. The bathroom had old greenish tiles that were in desperate need of re-grouting. The stall shower closed with a green, hard plastic accordian door. No light in the shower whatsoever. Had to leave the shower door ajar to shave legs, causing a flood. Hair dryer did not work, view was non-existant, bad lighting in entire bathroom and bedroom. Concierge gave us wrong information on restaurants. Lobby & sitting area is small, unimpressive. I am really not a complainer, but I truly did not have a good impression of this hotel. You can do better in a city such as Rome.

Feb 14th, 2001, 06:42 AM
nancy

Type in the hotel name , due torre, in the text search box , (wait a couple mins-slow), and I bet you will get lots of posts on this hotel.
I would choose the P.Navona area

Feb 14th, 2001, 06:48 AM
nancy

Also, Due Torrelisted in more guide books than the other,
The Gambero Rosso, Tuttitalia 2001, and their Rome book, 1999 (italian guide books published in italy), give this hotel 2 keys (for comfort and value,)
out of 3 keys,
and a red heart which they give to hotels that they think are especially lovely and a good value, etc.

Feb 14th, 2001, 07:47 AM
carol

I've often thought of staying in La Residenza because it looks so nice from outside, but after Ellen's review, I'd never even consider staying there. Due Torri by all means!