Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eiffel Tower/Altitude 95 Reservations Needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 08:20 PM
Martha Z

My family (2 adults, 2 teens) would like to have dinner at Altitude 95 during our late August stay. Do I need to make reservations in advance? If so, how do I call/fax/email? Should I do Jules Verne instead (is it possible with this short notice?) Is there a separate elevator for the Tower restaurants, or will the lines be a problem, even with reservations? Help! I haven't tried this before and my son has chosen this as his dream "thing" to do in Paris.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 10:05 PM
Melanie

Hi Martha <BR>Yes, yes yes, do book ahead at that time of year. We were in Paris last October for a week and could not get reservations! <BR>I suggest calling the French tourist commission or whatever you have near you, or e mail the official Paris tourist board web site. Lines are not a problem to my memory to the restaurants. Jules Verne isn't as high, I don't think. <BR>The Paris tourist web site would be my first stop. <BR>But do make that reservation! <BR>I hope you'll be in Paris a while, it's magical. Make sure you vist the Rodin museum, which is near the Tower, it's the best! <BR>cheers from Sydney

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 04:21 AM
Mary Ann

We were at Altitude 95 last October 1st. It is the lower of the two. Jules is the Gourmet restaurant which is higher (along with their prices are I believe). We did make reservations. First we tried throught their web site. We were leaving Sept. 11th for Europe and started about a week before, they did not respond for 5 days and we were getting nervous (we were celebrating my Brother and Sister in laws anniversary there). As a result, we reserved by emailing our hotel who made the reservation for us. The day before we left, Altitude 95 emailed us a confirmation so then we had two, so they just take a little more time to respond. <BR>When you check in with reservations, they send you to the head of the restaurant line which boards before the others just going up for view. <BR>The other element we did not consider was seating. Ask for a window seat. We were about two tables from the window but still had a great view. There were window seats empty with reserved signs on them. Others coming in would ask (you could tell) and were directed to the interior portion of the restaurant without much of a view. I do not know if our hotel requested it or we were just more fortunate. The prices were not too bad, and the ambiance was great! The staff was very nice and even did not seem to mind taking our picture. <BR>Have a great time. This was actually the 2nd time for my husband and I. Last time we had a view of the fountains. Try to get there before sunset so you can see the changing of the lights.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 08:39 AM
jwagner

Martha, <BR> <BR>You'll want to make reservations ASAP. Even if the place isn't full yet, you are assured of a better table if you e-mail them now. Don't be afraid to be specific: I would like a table next to a window. We went to Altitude 95 and enjoyed it. One thing to know: there are two entrances to the restaurants at the Eiffel Tower. I believe--and someone can correct me if I am not remembering properly--you want to go to the southwest leg of the tower. You need to stop at the ticket off first and give them your names and they will give you your passes on the elevator. Expect to spend $60--$75 a person for food, wine, etc.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 08:46 AM
Martha Z

Thank you, thank you, all! I'll get right on it! What wonderful traveling "friends" to have! Au revoir for now...

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Sue

I'll celebrate the big 5-0 in Paris this October. Would you recommend Altitude 95 or Jules Verne for a birthday celebration? Or another memorable location in Paris? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 12:34 PM
jwagner

depends what you want to spend? Jules Verne is a very dressy Michelin starred restaurant. Altitude 95 is what I might call "Country Club Casual" but is still a nice--if not a little busy--restaurant with nice views all around. The Price Fixed menu at Altitude 95 makes for a very complete French meal. Good luck deciding.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 12:36 PM
GayMaloney

My husband and I recently went to Jules Verne for Lunch and reservations were a definite must. We went to a number of 5 star restaurants in Paris of which Jules is one. However, while it was still very enjoyable was pricey for what we got. Beautiful view with a private elevator that takes you directly up to it so no line and that was a big time saver. I faxed them for reservations. Remember in France lunch is the same price as dinner for a lot of places.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 04:14 AM
Mary Ann

I think the price per PERSON of $60-75 may be high unless you are getting a high priced wine or lots of it. We had dinner there last September, including wine and dessert. The exchange rate was at 6.04 on our visa and it was just under $80US for each COUPLE. Keep in mind that their prices include gratuity. We had wine, Brouilly which was really enjoyable. All this talk makes me want to go back!!!

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 04:26 PM
donn

Zee Girl, <BR> <BR>Excuse my ignorance, but what is Altitude '95 and Jules? <BR> <BR>I assume by the responses they are restaurants, no? <BR> <BR>Parle vous a humma humma? <BR>Donn

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 07:03 AM
jusjan

Martha, <BR> <BR>I saw the responses you were getting and decided to contact my hotel about reservations for either restaurant but told them my first choise was Jules Verne. Well, Jules Verne was booked so they got me a reservation for 7pm on a Saturday nite at Altitude 95. Not bad considering I'll be there in three weeks. <BR>ps: I contacted my hotel thru their website.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 07:06 AM
jusjan

I forgot to mention that my hotel told me that you have to buy tickets for the first floor at the information desk at the Eiffel Tower between the north and east pillar. <BR>Hope that helps.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Martha Z

Just in case anyone's still following this - I went to the Eiffel Tower web page for the fax number and faxed my reservation request yesterday afternoon. It was confirmed for the day and time that I wanted (about 3 weeks out) by return fax during the night (morning there). This was for Altitude 95, not Jules Verne. Again, thanks for the assistance.