EE rail pass - is it worth buying?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year my itinerary in Europe is Rome-Vienna-Budapest-Krakow (may want to offshoot to Prague on between Vienna and Budapest). Is it worth getting a EE rail pass that includes Austria? US$225 gets you 5 trip days in the 1st class cars. Or should I leave an option to go by busses and 2-nd class cars also?<BR><BR>Anybody has the EE rail pass experience?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Viktor.<BR>
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM

I answered your first post:<BR><BR>Don't know what EE railpass is. Check your itinerary at www.railsaver.com to see what it suggests.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Probably not. The January issue of the Thomas Cook European Timetable shows fares second class on day express trains as <BR>Vienna to Budapest 38 euros<BR>Budapest to Warsaw 68 euros, so to Krakow about 60 euros<BR>Vienna to Prague 48 euros<BR>Prague to Krakow about 50.<BR><BR>By night you add 9 euros or a couchette or 40 euros for a sleeper, whether you have a rail pass or point to point.<BR><BR>Welcome back to Europe<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses! Also, is there a big difference btw 1st and 2nd class cars when travekking ib Eastern Europe?<BR><BR>Viktor.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Twenty years ago second class compartments in central Europe had four seats either side, eight in all, so were crowded. That is still true in Romania and Bulgaria, and think in local trains of Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia. But now you are likely to travel on EuroCity or InterCity trains, where I think you will find six seats to each compartment, not crowded. There will thus be no point in paying the extra fifty percent you need to travel first class.<BR><BR>On night trains second class plus supplement buys you a berth in a crowded six berth couchette compartment or in a 3 berth sleeper. First class plus supplement buys a berth in a single or double sleeper. There is a note on sleepers and couchettes at http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm.<BR><BR>ben.haines@btinternet. com<BR>