Edinburgh/Whisky Trail Accomodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a good B&B/small hotel near the centre of Edinburgh in the price range of Pounds Ster. 50 for a double? Am also looking for similar accommodation recommendation for the Whisky Trail area. Thx.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Hi Hilda Bell,<BR><BR>My mom and I just booked here http://www.mwguesthouse.co.uk/rooms.htm, we've never been there and won't go until this October but it looks nice. Just something for you to check out.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi Meg - thks, I'll check it out. Have decided that the Whisky Trail is too far to drive in the time we have so will head to Oban instead. Anyone know of a good small hotel or B&amp;B there in the 50 pound range for a double? ...Hilda
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Hilda_Bell - All there is in Oban is the sea front and lots and lota (and LOTS) of hotels and B&amp;Bs in that price range. I forget when your trip is - but Oban has so much to choose from I would probably just wait until you get there - or use one the Tourist Information Centers (in Edinburgh or anywhere) a couple of days ahead of time to get you a place. <BR><BR>That way you will have flexibility to modify your itinerary as you go. After you learn how long things take, you might want to linger somewhere longer -- or move on sooner.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Janis - you are the best for advice. We'll be in Oban in mid July - do you still think we can book something there the day that we arrive? You are right, it would give more flexibility.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:07 PM

What I would do - while you are in Edinburgh, once you decide for sure you are going to want a place in Oban, go to the Tourist Information Center at Waverly Bridge (It is right in the middle of things - Princes St, Waverly Station, the hop-on-hop-off bus stop, etc) and have them book you a room. You tell them your price range and other requirements and then go off sightseeing while they call the Oban TIC and make reservations for you. This is called the &quot;book-a-bed-ahead scheme&quot; - it will save you time looking in Oban.<BR><BR>When you stop back by the TIC a couple of hours later they will give you the directions, phone number and a confirmed booking.<BR><BR>You could also do this at any other TIC along your route - it desn't have to be in Edinburgh
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi Janis, I've put this info in my travel file. Thx so much. ...Hilda
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:47 AM

In Oban you might want to check out the Greencourt guest house. They have a site on the net. Most of the B&amp;B's are located on the hill behind the town. You could book on arrival, but if like me, I do like to have a place reserved in advance. July could be busy so why not book and not worry about it. The B&amp;B is small with great host, a good view and with parking.