Edinburgh trainstation

Search

Edinburgh trainstation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh trainstation

I will be traveling to Scotland for a Wedding on July 6th and will be landing in Edinburgh airport but will then have to catch a train at the Edinburgh train station to get to Inverness. Does anyone know how far the train station is from the airport? I'm going on ScotRail and I was told to pick up my train ticket at the ScotRail Platform 14 Booking Office. Is that hard to find? Also, at the airport, do they have a bank that is open on Sunday so that I can exchange some of my money for British pounds? Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:08 PM
MHS

Were in Edinburgh late May. Arrived at the train station, but flew out of the airport. You will need transportation between airport and center of Edinburgh for main train station. Check map of Edinburgh & you will see station is located on edge of New Town area -- it's "rear" is toward the overlooking Castle. Taxi between airport & train station will cost @10-15 pounds (we paid @12 from Old Town area). There is a bus -- check Lothian for schedule. 1 way is under 5 pounds I think.

The train station is a mix of old & new -- with several levels -- it blends into a modern shopping mall. You have to look sharp for elevators (personal impression from our experience). Sorry I can't help you with location of the Platform you need, since we were just headed out to the Tourist Office.

Airport is small but relatively new and quite nice from the departure areas we saw. There should be ATMs you could use to obtain British pounds in the arrival area.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:17 PM

There is a frequent, inexpensive coach that goes directly from the airport to Waverly station in the center of the city. Couldn't be easier.

2 years ago it cost £3.50 - so I assume it is about £5 now.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:20 PM

At the top of the inclined road that leads out of the train station there is a casual restaurant that has good food and, from my one experience, very friendly staff. I was there this April and was impressed by both.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 02:37 PM

There is a map of Edinburgh Waverley station at http://www.majorstations.co.uk//popu...in_shopmapfile
It shows the booking office adjacent to platform 14 (next to WH Smith)and the bus stop entrance is shown at the very top of the map. There are cash machines and bureau de change shown on the map, but I imagine you'd have got cash before you get to the station.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:57 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Use the ATM at the airport when you arrive; it will help to have Sterling to pay for the coach to Waverley Sta.

Unless you're flying in from Europe, you'll have already passed through an airport, most likely London. Use the ATM there between flights.