Edinburgh/St. Andrews - Restaurant Help Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Edinburgh and St. Andrews in early March to visit our son who is studying (a semester abroad) at St. Andrews. While we are visiting we would love to have some fabulous meals, but I need some restaurant assistance please. We will be in Edinburgh for only three nights, a Monday, Tuesday, and Sunday, and it looks as though many good restaurants are closed on Mondays and Sundays! So right now we are thinking of dinner on Monday night at Oloroso, Tuesday at Martin Wishart, and Sunday at either Number 1. but I have recently read on this site that a number of people do not think very higly of either Oloroso or Number 1 - would The Tower or Stac Polly be a better choice? We had wanted to eat at Kitchin, but it is closed on Mondays and Sundays.

And for St. Andrews, we have only gotten one recomendation so far and that is for The Seafood Restaurant. We are staying at The Old Course Hotel and our room rate includes one dinner, but we will be there for 4 nights and are looking for suggestions.
Thanks! Susan
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Will you have a car in St Andrews?

If so - check out the Peat Inn -- in Peat Inn (that is the actual name of the hamlet)

The Cellar in Anstruther, or the The Seafood Restaurant in St Monans would also be great.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM

The Tower in Edinburgh has a good view to Edinburgh Castle but the food is not that great and for what you are served - is overpriced.
No1 at the Balmoral www.thebalmoralhotel.com/dining has attained the One Michelin star.
It is a pity that Kitchin is closed when you are in Edinburgh.
Have a look at Ducks at le Marche Noir- Michelin Bib gourmand award for great food at good prices.
Also look at Abstract Restaurant in Castle Terrace www.abstractrestaurant.com
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM

We have eaten at the Number One and were not overwhelmed. Food was good and solid, but traditional French, not a hint of Scottish cuisine.

And to be frank: In France, this restaurant would not have been awarded a Michelin star. We enjoyed much more the food at Cameron House (Loch Lomond), where Number One's chef was trained.

In Edinburgh, we liked Off the Wall for good, innovative cuisine with a regional twist. To be sure, they do not play in the highest culinary league, but we liked it more than Number One.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM

I agree that the Tower is overpriced (and overhyped!). We had a very disappointing lunch there - I wouldn't go back.

One of my favourite Edinburgh restaurants is the Grain Store on Victoria Street. Lovely atmosphere and great menu with focus on good quality Scottish produce. Not sure whether it's open on Sundays/Mondays, however. www.grainstore-restaurant.co.uk

I haven't eaten at Ducks at le Marché Noir, but they did do the catering for my wedding and the food was absolutely fantastic, so I can imagine the restaurant would certainly be worth a try.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM

We are going to Edinburgh in April. I checked out their website and the menu seems excellent and very reasonably priced. A three course lunch for 13.5 pounds. Amazing.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Well it looks as if The Tower is now off my list. And I am not sure about Number 1 but it probably is as well. Martin Wishart is still on. What about Oloroso? Any comments? I am having difficulty finding places bedause I am looking for restaurants that are open on a Monday and a Sunday. Ducks looks good but I can't find the hours on the website. Any other suggestions?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:51 AM

You are spot on in that Martin Wishart and the Kitchin are the best, but are closed on Sundays & Mondays. Since you can only do one of those two, it has to be Martin Wishart - and have the tasting menu ! I was abasolutely gobsmacked they didn't get a second Michelin star this time - on each of our last few visits they seem to have raised their game a bit further, and our last meal there (end of Dec) was certainly comparable to other 2 stars we've visited.

So for your other 2 nights...

There's nothing else approaching the same standard as MW and the Kitchin, but among the best of the rest IMO are the Atrium and La Garrigue (which is however regional French - not fancy but very nice) - both open Monday but not Sunday.

I would recommend you try Abstract, although admittedly I haven't been yet. But the menu looks fabulous & it got good reviews when it opened. It is also closed on Sunday, though.

Or you could try Rhubarb at Prestonfield House which gets good reviews and is perhaps open on Sunday since it's in a hotel.

I would have recommended the Vintner's Rooms but they are closed on Sunday & Monday.

I'd also agree with avoiding Oloroso, which is all hype (and I suspect the Balmoral Hotel's concierges are on a heftly kickback to send all their guests there).

I've not been very impressed with Number 1 on either of the 2 occasions I've dined there.

I would not recommend Duck's.

I haven't heard of anywhere good in St Andrew's other than the Seafood Restaurant, but would agree that the Peat Inn is good if you don't mind driving or forking out for a taxi. And the restaurant at Balbirnie House has been getting amazing reviews recently - it's been on my list since I read this (originally in the Sunday Herald) http://www.balbirnie.co.uk/the-hotel...ry-2008.htm#10.

Can't you change your schedule so you are in St Andrew on Sunday & Monday ? Or just stay in Edinburgh longer
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Caroline,
I really wish that we could change our schedule, but it just doesn't work anyother way. We arrive in Edinburgh on a Monday and I thought we would stay immediately go to St. Andrews to visit our son, then return to Edinburgh for the weekend prior to our departure the next Monday. But I did not count on a very important Rugby game being held on that Saturday night! So no hotel rooms in Edinburgh! That is why we decided to visit Edinburgh when we first arrive on Monday, and Tuesday, then head to St. Andrews on WEdnesday. Stay in St. Andrews (with day trips to the area) through Saturday night (thereby missing the rugby game in Edinburgh) and heading back to Edinburgh for Sunday afternoon and night before our early flight home on Monday.

So, for restaurants, I already have a reservation at MW for Tuesday and I am going to try for Atrium on Monday. That leaves Sunday to figure out. I think that the Grain Store is open on Sunday and it does sound good.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Ah, a Six Nations match. I booked our hotel in Cardiff for early March over a year ago, in case it turned out to be a Six Nations weekend !

But why not stay in Edinburgh Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, and Thu-Sun in St Andrew's ?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Caroline,
I thought of that, but my husband and I were concerned about getting from St. Andrews to the airport for the flight. We have a 10:40 am flight out of Edinburgh. How long woud it take for us to get to the airport on a Monday morning? do you think we would have a hard time getting there? Maybe we are being silly about this.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM

About an hour and a half - so if it was me, I'd set off at 6.30 to allow some contingency.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM

P.S. Assuming this is for a transatlantic flight & you want to get to the airport 2 hours in advance ?
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Caroline,
Actually this flight is not transatlantic. It is our flight from Edinburgh to London. Will there be a lot of traffic in the morning? I know that if I was trying to head to NY airports on a MOnday morning I would be hitting a lot of commuter traffic heading to work.

Susan
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the commute tends to be later in the a.m. than we are used to in the States. So leaving at 6:30 or even 7-ish would probably be fine. But Caroline will be able to give you more details.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

The more I think about it, the more I think that Caroline is right about our trip - and not just becuase of the restuarants. It makes more sense to change cities just once and not waste vacation time traveling back to Edinburgh. So now here is the plan:

Monday am - arrive Edinburgh
Tuesday and Wednesday Edinburgh
Thursday pick up rental car and drive to St. Andrews (to see our son)
Monday morning head to Edinburgh airport for flight home.

And, this will allow us to eat at Kitchin as well!

Thank you Caroline~!

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Yes, the morning traffic doesn't really start getting busy until after 7.30-7.45. And for a flight to London, I wouldn't bother getting to the airport until an hour before, Who are you flying with (BA, bmi ?) - you can probably check in online, can't you ?

I didn't check before, but will you have a hire car at this point ? If so, allowing for a bit of contingency and dropping the car off, I would set off between 7 and 7.30.

That is better, isn't it ? You will like the Kitchin !
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Caroline,
Yes we are picking up a rental car in Edinburgh (just before we leave town) and driving to St. Andrews. While we are there visiting our son we plan on taking some day trips while he is in classes or otherwise busy. We are flying BA and I will see about checking in on line.

Also with this change in plans I decided that we would stay our first two nights in Edinburgh at the Balmoral and then for the third night we will move to the Scotsman. That third night was going to cost a forune at the Balmoral. I guess the rate jump is for the rugby game!
But I am pleased because I could not choose between the hotels and now I get to try out both!
Thanks again for all of your help,
Susan
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Sounds good ! With BA you can check in online 24 hours beforehand, then just drop your bags when you get to the airport. There are things I don't like about BA, but at the moment I do find them the easiest in that area.

Have you booked the Kitchin, then ?
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM

P.S. Susan & Janis, what time does the rush hour start where you are ?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -