Edinburgh relo

Feb 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Ani
Original Poster

Edinburgh relo

My husband and I are considering a long term move to Edniburgh (from the US). Although I've found some very useful immigration websites, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some sites/forums dealing with IT positions (DH is a software developer) in Edinburgh. Thanks in advance,
Anja
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM

Main IT employers are RBS, HBOS and Standard Life

For UK websites try
www.cwjobs.co.uk
www.spring-technology.com
www.hays.com/it/
www.jobserve.com/
www.monster.co.uk/

BUT as a non-EU citizen getting a work visa is going to be next to impossible. My company has offshored a lot of work to Bangalore and has a large number of Indian contractors

Feb 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM

My husband and I moved to Edinburgh from Pittsburgh, PA two years ago and absolutely love it. Interestingly, he is in IT as well - web development. He has always worked in the non-profit sector and found his job through the University websites. What's nice about looking through a university is that they had so much experience with the visa paperwork, etc. it made everything much easier for us. The university of Edinburgh site always has something listed, and there are other schools throughout Edinburgh as well. Good luck!
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM

If you aren't already familiar with it, look into the Highly Skilled Migrant Program visa for the UK. I am on one in London. (Not in the IT field though.) Basically, so long as you have a college degree, have a recent record of earning a decent regular salary and are fluent in English you would get enough "points" to work in the UK. It doesn't require sponsorship from an employer. It is a bit of work to pull together everything you need to prove those elements but it does let you work here and is not tied to a specific employer.
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Actually I was going to mention the HSMP as we would qualify for it. Thank you!
PittPurple I would LOVE to contact you via email and discuss this if you wouldnt mind? My email is [email protected]
Thanks again!
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM

There is always the IT contractor market.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:44 AM

The bottom pretty well fell out of the contractor market a few years ago, as DH and I both know to our cost - the exceptions are a handful of people who are well known by the main companies or others on strictly short term (like 3 months) contracts. People I worked beside who didn't take the permanent shilling have generally spent about 50% of each year not working in the last two or three years.

Standard Life is still getting rid of permanent staff.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:48 AM

The does depend on what area of IT It your in and some of the companies you end up in.Lots of Most comanise now only offer 3 months at a time but do extend the contract.
I would agree that there are not so many contractors work directly for firms as there was but there is an increas ein sub contractors.
As you say lots of companies are now out sorucing their IT work. That is now were a some IT contractors are looking for work, with these types of compaines rather that the actual company they are doing the work for. A few companies that I can think of that might be worth looking at our Xansa, Accenture , http://www.uk.capgemini.com/
and TATA Consultancy Services (TCS)yes I know TCS are based offshore in India bu they do employ people outside of India. try this website for an idea of what is out there.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Thanks everyone-checking it all out...
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:55 AM

Another good website:

http://www.theitjobboard.com/

We moved from Australia to the UK about 2 years ago (my husband is in IT - SAP) and it has been fantastic - much better than we could have even hoped. To have all of Europe on your doorstep still blows my mind.

Hardest bits are trying to find work and a flat. There is also more bureaucracy here than we are used to. If you can get things like a bank account sorted before you leave home, you will be much better off. Try HSBC.

Best of luck.
Kay
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Thanks Kay-good info. We just backed out of the house we are building here (it was one of our options and the reason we listed our current home in the first place)-so we are one step closer to making the decision. Will check out the website-thanks again!