Edinburgh: May Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will most likely be in Edinburgh, traveling by train to Paris, or be in Paris on May Day 2012. Never having been in Europe on May Day and both of us wanting to be part of a celebration, we need some perspectives.

Does Edinburgh has a history of celebration?

Would it be unadvisable to plan a train trip from Edinburgh to Paris, involving transfers in London? Possibility of work stopages?

Or arrive in Paris a day before May Day and spend the day in Paris?

Gynna
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM

The UK celebrates May Day on the first Monday in May, not May 1 as in most countries of Europe.

If you want a <u>REAL PARTY</u> I suggest Queen's Day in Amsterdam, April 30. See my photolog at
http://tinyurl.com/yln3hrp.
Then make a trip out to the beautiful tulips at Keukenhof, http://tinyurl.com/y8hltjl.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:48 PM

"Would it be unadvisable to plan a train trip from Edinburgh to Paris, involving transfers in London? Possibility of work stopages?"

It would be inadvisable - but mainly because it's a long journey and it's easier to fly.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:50 PM

In Edinburgh you get the trade unions, Labour Party & a few pipe bands marching down the Royal Mile - but it may not be on May Day or the May Day Bank Holiday
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM

having lived in Edinburgh on and off for over 50 years I can't say I have ever noticed any special celebrations then.
I rememebr as a kid in the 60's we used to have a bonfire for Victoria day which was in May sometime,never heard of anyone celebrating that these days.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who replied. I guess I had hoped to be part of a celebration of labor somewhere in Europe as we do not celebrate "May Day" in the US.

In Hawaii where we live, we celebrate Lei Day on May 01. This day is traditionally a day giving and receiving leis among friends and family, concerts, and a general feeling of Aloha.

Spaarne - great pictures, but Amsterdam is not possible on our next trip. The tulips brought back memories from 25 years ago when I flew into Amsterdam during the hight of tulip season. The tulip fields were everywhere and the colors bright. Never forgot that memory - thanks for helping me to recall.

alanRow - You are right about flying. Given the time factor and even the cost, we will be better with taking a plane, unless the trip to London is beautiful and something we should not miss.

unclegus - Thank you for chipping in.