Edinburgh - Literary Pub Crawl

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh - Literary Pub Crawl

I'll be in Edinburgh the last half of May. Has anyone done this particular pub tour? It looks terrific but I'm wary of anything that seems so touristy.<BR><BR>~ Sheryl
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

I have no idea how this question posted twice. Sorry!!! lol<BR><BR>~ Sheryl... not even a real blonde... jeez
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:42 PM
jor

I didn't do the crawl you are asking about, but I highly recommend the witch history/pub crawl that originates at the Castle Rock hostel near Edinburgh Castle. We had a fantastic time and learned a lot about Edinburgh's history of witches. Its not touristy.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 06:09 PM
ron

I did the literary pub walk and enjoyed it very much. I guess it is touristy in the sense that it wouldn't exist if there were no tourists and that all the people on it were tourists. But I learned something about Edinburgh's literary history, specifically about the three Roberts -- Fergusson, Burns and Louis Stevenson, enjoyed a few pints of fine Scottish beer, visited pubs I otherwise might never have known about and met some interesting people. I suppose I could have spent the two and half hours in The Edinburgh public library instead, reading up on these writers -- that wouldn't have been touristy, but it wouldn't have been much fun either.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Jor &amp; Ron,<BR><BR>Thanks for the information. I'm sitting here thinking I'll probably end up doing both... lol The witch history/pub crawl sounds great.<BR><BR>I've been reading like a mad woman for months now. I'm more than ready to trade in the books for the real thing. <BR><BR>So Ron, like you, I think I'll pass on the history lesson at the Edinburgh public library and get the real history from the locals at the pub. After all, I need to learn important things like... why do they serve lager at nearly room temperature and does ale really taste anything like my favourite Corona... These things can only be learned with a pint in front of you. *chuckle*<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR><BR>~ Sheryl... who may just be truly crawling by the end
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:48 AM
ron

Sheryl, just to respond to your beer comments. The very few times I have had lager in the UK, it has been served at refrigerator temperature; draft and real ales are served at cellar temperature. <BR><BR>The literary pub walk will likely stop at the Ensign Ewart pub near Edinburgh Castle; one of their regular real ales is Orkney Dark Island; I recommend you try it -- if you do not like it, let me know and I will send the price of your pint.<BR><BR>I am not positive about this, but I think it is called a Literary Pub Walk in Edinburgh while the one in Dublin is called a Literary Pub Crawl. I presume the walk vs crawl distinction has some meaning with respect to the drinking cultures in the 2 countries.<BR><BR>Have a fun time<BR><BR>Ron
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 08:22 AM

'Pub Crawl' isn't country specific, its a general term used over here to denote a wild night out on the town with plenty of booze flowing as you 'crawl' from pub to pub! - a fave pastime of mine ;O)<BR><BR>
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 08:30 AM

See if you can find a book called &quot;The Fanatick&quot;, which you will find is about a historic link with a ghost/history walk on the Royal Mile, apart from being a great book.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Sheila,<BR><BR>Thanks for the tip on the book. I've jotted it down and will check with the library. If they've not catalogued it I'll make a run to Barnes &amp; Noble.<BR><BR>EnglishOne,<BR><BR>My guess is by mid-tour I'll be aware of the lingo. *chuckle*<BR><BR>Ron,<BR><BR>Orkney Dark Island at Ensign Ewart pub it is. I'm far from a beer officiando but am game to try anything once. Do I ask the barkeep for a receipt or will you take my word for it? *grin*<BR>~ Sheryl<BR>