Reload this Page >

Edinburgh good eats and/or high tea

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:42 AM
will

Looking for good ideas on good places to eat that are mid-range in price and serve traditional Scottish food. Also interested in locations for high tea (if that is a tradition in Scotland as it is in England). Will be there in mid-September. We plan to spend lots of times in pubs so are looking for alternative ideas for one nice dinner while there, as well as tea on afternoon.<BR><BR>Thanks to all in advance.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Jenny

Hi Will,<BR><BR>Is it high tea, or afternoon tea you are looking for - they are quite different in Scotland. High tea tends to be a meal (something like steak pie or fish and chips for example, in a lot of pubs) with tea and toast on the side, then cakes and scones to follow. A lot of pubs/restaurants do this - particularly on a Sunday. Afternoon tea is more like what you would get in London. <BR><BR>The only place I can think of at the moment for high tea is just outside of Edinburgh - a place called Gullane, in East Lothian. There is a really nice place (or it was, last time I was there) called 'The Old Golf Club', which does rather nice food.<BR><BR>For afternoon tea, some of the large hotels in Edinburgh are good - the Balmoral certainly used to be good, and the Roxburghe was lovely on last visit.<BR><BR>Let us know which it is, and I'm sure we can give you more suggestions.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Fishers

go to Fishers of Leith. ar ein Leith and in town great value seafood lunch. mid range but top notch.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:58 AM
will

Guess I am thinking more of afternoon tea rather than high tea.<BR><BR>thanks

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Simone

Its not high tea, but Plaisir du Chocolate has wonderful, properly prepared tea (no bags and no stewing leaves), nice lunch entres and great desserts. Its on the north side of the Royal Mile (the PdC on the southside is litle more than a takeout).

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:47 PM
msa

For wonderful scones and tea try Mrs. Forsyths Tea Room...its in a close (like an alley) off the Royal Mile, and is close to the back door of the Jurys Inn Hotel. Very nice lady, and wonderful food/drinks.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:13 AM
SIobhan

Will,<BR><BR>Many places serve traditional food...all depends how traditional you want. Are you into Haggis? A lovely restaurant just before the entrance to the castle is the Witchery. They do a cheaper set menu for lunch but is meant to be excellent and "scottish" food. Many pubs would serve just as nice food. <BR><BR>As for tea, I belive the Balmoral does this as many of the larger upmarket Scottish hotels. I never find its as good as I expected. <BR><BR>I can reccommend a great reasonable Italian place. Dario's on Lothian road. It has a take away/chipper on one side and sit down meals on the other. Don't let this make you think its not good. It's the best italian food and pizza I have had in the UK. All the male waiters are older italian men and are fantasic waiters. The food serves everything you can think of even things I did not see for years. <BR><BR>Avoid eating by the castle (except the witchery) they are tourist traps and the food is muck!<BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Nicole

Try Clarinda's on Princes Street if it's still there. I only had tea there once, but they have a selection of teas and great cakes, scones, etc.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Sheila

I would avoid the Witchery too. overpirced for what you get.<BR><BR>I think you want Stac Polly or any of the Howies restaurants for your traditional Scottish food. As an aside you might want to try Black Bo's- tho' it's fully veggy.<BR><BR>For afternoon tea a lot of the mystique is ambience. Jenner's would be my choice, followed by the Caledonian, the Balmoral, the Roxburghe or the George

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Jenny

Sheila,<BR><BR>Although I usually think your advice is spot-on, I took my Mum to Jenners last week for a coffee, and we walked out. Although I'm in Jenners quite a lot, it was a long time since I'd been in the cafe, and it was horrible - dirty tables, and crockery lying about everywhere. It's a self-service free-for-all, and not a pleasant atmosphere at all. Certainly not somewhere for a relaxing coffee and chat...<BR><BR>Just my tuppence worth

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:43 AM
Keith

What is Jenners?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:41 AM
sam

Jenners is a large department store, often referred to as the "Harrods of Edinburgh"

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:46 AM
Sheila

Actually, as to the Witchery, I've never recommended it.<BR><BR>I actually went there for dinner with my husband 18 months ago to check it out because people asked about it so often. I found it overpriced and overcrowded- although with quite the best wine list I've ever seen in a restaurant. <BR><BR>My line on it has been quite consistent ever since. And I didn't have a line before.<BR><BR>And, David, (or not David, as I suspect), I don't post anonymously, and I don't charge, except for legal advice

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:17 AM
Sick

I laugh when I read these posters who bash others for being on Fodors! What hypocrisy! What morons!<BR>Meanwhile-as I post it is 10:15AM in NYC. That I think means it is 3:15PM in Scotland/England.<BR>There was a commercial played on television for years, "It is x oclock, Do you know where your children are?" I think that is the game some posters play here.<BR>If some of you stuck to the subject and stopped bringing your personal vendettas to these boards, this would remain a pleasant site for travel discussion and not some unhappy peoples venting and whining boards.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:04 AM
david west

This is the real david west here (which is easily checked by using the real address above, which I use on all my posts)<BR><BR>The two bob knob claiming to be me is a deeply sad sort of a chap and cockmonger if he gets his jollies like this.<BR><BR>Ho hum matey. Drop me a line and we can meet up and sort it out. I'd like that (but you may not)

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:04 AM
david west

This is the real david west here (which is easily checked by using the real address above, which I use on all my posts)<BR><BR>The two bob knob claiming to be me is a deeply sad sort of a chap and cockmonger if he gets his jollies like this.<BR><BR>Ho hum matey. Drop me a line and we can meet up and sort it out. I'd like that (but you may not)<BR><BR>David

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:07 AM
annie

<BR>David:<BR>I love your choice of words///<BR>lmao in nyc

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:13 AM
david west

Thanks to the moderators for getting rid of my imposter.<BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:30 AM
Nguyen

and thanks to sheila for contacting the moderators...

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:35 AM
xxx

annie, do you hate gay people too? cockmonger? It doesnt take a genuis to work it out. David, I usually like to read what you post but with that comment, I've lost all respect for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -