Edinburgh for a day?

Search

Edinburgh for a day?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh for a day?

My daughter and I are visiting Leeds, England to tour the University in July. We were thinking about going to Edinburgh for a day to tour.
Is it worth it to go for a day? Can someone give direction on which mode of travel would be the most economical?
Can we possible "see" Edinburgh in a day? Our nightly reservations are all set in Lees so we would have to return there nightly.
Do they have a hop on/ off bus tour? Highlights please? Thank you.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:52 AM

It would be a long day. The first through train departs Leeds at 7.54 arriving at Edinburgh Waverley at 11.01.
As you leave the station you will see the double decker tour buses lined up in Waverley Bridge - same principle as London hop on/hop off as often as you like. Amongst the must-sees are The Castle, Holyrood Palace, Charlotte Square and The Royal Yacht Britannia. Wandering the narrow closes of the old town and the wide avenues of the new make for a fascinating contrast.
A train departs Edinburgh at 6.05pm getting back to Leeds at 9.08pm. According to www.thetrainline.com a round trip ticket will cost £67.20 if booked in advance.
I must be honest and say better value could be had by touring the Yorkshire Dales by bus or heading to the delights of York.
Whatver you decide, have a great trip!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Edinburgh is fabulous - and you could see a LOT of it if you had a full day there. But you wouldn't have anywhere near a full day - as Adamhornets says - you will spend almost as much time on the train as seeing Edinburgh.

York on the other hand is very near Leeds and you would have plenty of time to explore it as a day trip.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I also suggest you save Edinburgh for when you can spend at least a few days there, if not more.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you,Adamhornets, Janis, and bardo1 for your honest replies. Perhaps we will stay in the York area. It sounds more relaxing!