Edinburgh Festival with a toddler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Edinburgh Festival this year, followed by a trip to London.
We will be taking our one-and-a-half year old with us.
Any recommendations for how to make the best of it with our toddler? Are there many things to do with children? What accommodation is recommended?
Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:52 AM

At this stage in the game the accommodation I would recommend is whatever you can find. The place will already be pretty fully booked.

There will be lots for children to do. That young? I'm not one to judge. From home I'll add a list of things I have for kids in Edinburgh, unrelated to the Festival.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:56 AM

Your accomodation should have been booked before Christmas.

But how are you going to look after your child when you go to something "more adult"?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:06 AM

In case you didn't realise, it's not one festival but many - including the International Festival (the original one), the Fringe (the biggest one), the Book Festival, the Film Festival, the Jazz & Blues Festival and the Tattoo. See www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk.

The Fringe programme, which comes out in mid-June, includes a section on children's shows. The Book Festival, for which the programme comes out around the same time, also has children's events. The International Festival, the programme for which comes out in March, does not.

Re alanRow's question - are you looking for the type of accommodation which would arrange babysitting for you ? i.e. probably just 4/5 star hotels ? What is your budget ?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Only recommendation is to restate above responses:

While you could wait until May to get your London room for August...

If you are in Edinburgh during festival, you need start calling Edinburgh hotels <b>right now</b> and pray you can find a room not too far out.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of good info above. But just to stress again -- anyplace we would recommend is likely already booked for your dates.

How many days are you planning for Edinburgh? If they have rooms, many places w/ have a 3 night minimum.

Instead of getting lots of recs here - and <i>maybe</i> finding availability, I'd just contact the Edinburgh Tourist Information Center and have them find you a place.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM

We are planning a trip to Edinburgh Festival this year, followed by a trip to London.We will be taking our one-and-a-half year old with us. Any recommendations for how to make the best of it with our toddler? Are there many things to do with children? What accommodation is recommended? Thanks!
Author: sheila ([email protected])Date: 02/06/2006, 04:52 am At this stage in the game the accommodation I would recommend is whatever you can find. The place will already be pretty fully booked.There will be lots for children to do. That young? I'm not one to judge. From home I'll add a list of things I have for kids in Edinburgh, unrelated to the Festival.
Author: alanRowDate: 02/06/2006, 07:56 am Your accomodation should have been booked before Christmas.But how are you going to look after your child when you go to something &quot;more adult&quot;?
Author: caroline_edinburghDate: 02/06/2006, 08:06 am In case you didn't realise, it's not one festival but many - including the International Festival (the original one), the Fringe (the biggest one), the Book Festival, the Film Festival, the Jazz &amp; Blues Festival and the Tattoo. See www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk.The Fringe programme, which comes out in mid-June, includes a section on children's shows. The Book Festival, for which the programme comes out around the same time, also has children's events. The International Festival, the programme for which comes out in March, does not.Re alanRow's question - are you looking for the type of accommodation which would arrange babysitting for you ? i.e. probably just 4/5 star hotels ? What is your budget ?
Author: bardo1Date: 02/06/2006, 08:33 am Only recommendation is to restate above responses:While you could wait until May to get your London room for August...If you are in Edinburgh during festival, you need start calling Edinburgh hotels right now and pray you can find a room not too far out.
Author: janisjDate: 02/06/2006, 10:41 am Lots of good info above. But just to stress again -- anyplace we would recommend is likely already booked for your dates.How many days are you planning for Edinburgh? If they have rooms, many places w/ have a 3 night minimum.Instead of getting lots of recs here - and maybe finding availability, I'd just contact the Edinburgh Tourist Information Center and have them find you a place.

I agree with those who have said you must book your rooms now. Edinburgh University has handed to an agency the work of booking rooms in Pollock Halls, two miles from the city centre, with many busses. This campus would suit you well, with plenty of grass and space, and small kitchens for running up meals (as well as a full canteen service). Please see www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/accommodation_ guide/Accommodation_Full_Board.htm.

Less good, but still attractive, is the idea of bed and breakfast. As Janis says, the City tourist board can help on this. You should mention that you seek greenery to run on, such as Bruntsfield Links, Princes Street Gardens, or the banks of Arthur s Seat.

The infant will enjoy the parade of people, sounds, colours and lights, and such free entertainment as the publicity shows on the Royal Mile. I have been at the Fringe fairly often, and must say that the children s shows are for people aged four at least. If the infant sleeps well you can go to anything you like, at any hour, to see and hear things you choose as adults. Little on the Fringe and Official festivals becomes full. So I suggest you e mail the Fringe office this month to set them up to airmail the events list (two hundred pages or more) to you at home on publication about June, and settle with much coffee to sort out your evenings and nights. Then you would book just the first night from your house, see how well the infant likes snoozing there, and book the rest right there in Edinburgh, in the fringe office on the Royal Mile. That way you need scrap no tickets.

You take breakfast where you stay, but lunch and supper are for you to find, perhaps in the cafes attached to several theatres and halls. Examples are
The pub with outside tables on the south west corner of St Andrew Square, next to Barclays Bank
The caf&eacute; on St Giles street, just off the Royal Mile, just east of Bank Street
The neat and new caf&eacute;, with outside tables, in the converted church atthe caste gate, at the top end of Castle Terrace
The temporary cafes on Victoria Street, just south of Grassmarket, and 100 feet upstairs from it
The Student Centre on Bristo Square
Various workers cafes at Tollcross, especially an African one on the east side of Home Street

Please write again if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM

&quot;If the infant sleeps well you can go to anything you like, at any hour, to see and hear things you choose as adults.&quot;

Em, who is going to look after the child? Last time I checked abandoning a child was still a serious offence in Scotland
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Just outside Edinburgh you have Deep Sea World

There's a steam train along the Forth at Musslebugh or somewhere.

You must do Edinburgh castle. Edinburgh also has a Museum of Childhood and although I haven't been, it's supposed to be very good.

The following I've nicked off web sites:-

Jelly Club

10b King’s Haugh
Peffermill Industrial Estate,
Peffermill Road
Edinburgh
EH16 5UY

http://www.jellyclub.co.uk

It's barry because: Provides activities for kids aged 0-12 years. Cost is for a two hour play period. Ample car parking. Caf&eacute; facilities.

The Jelly Club is big, bright and colourful, with lots to do for kids aged 0-12. Activity areas are grouped according to age to prevent exuberant older kids from accidentally harming younger ones.

There are ball pits and soft play areas for young children and modern, imaginative adventure play areas for older ones. There is even a Jelly Village play area with a road network, petrol station and garage, shops, telephones and lots of pedal powered vehicles. Not the best place to teach your kids the rudimentary basics of the Highway Code, perhaps, but brilliant pedal-pushing fun.

The Fringe Guide will have a section on childrens' shows

The Book Festival has a childrens' section.

You want to try to get to the Fringe Parade and Fringe Sunday

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:15 AM

&quot;If the infant sleeps well you can go to anything you like, at any hour, to see and hear things you choose as adults.&quot;

I'd be pretty upset if I found myself sitting next to someone with a one-and-a-half year old on their lap at an opera, concert or play.