Economical LD plan to call Europe?

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 03:50 PM
Elisabeth

Economical LD plan to call Europe?

My Sprint Sense plan will simply NOT cut it when it comes to calling hotels in UK/France/Italy. We will be traveling over both Christmas and New Years and would like to start making reservations in various locations. What company or plan do you use to call internationally? What are the rates to specific countries? Thanks for any help.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 04:37 PM
Lynne

Elisabeth,
AT&T has a great international calling plan -- I don't remember the specifics of how it works, or whether it's good for more than one country, but basically you pay an access charge of $4.95 per month, and then your calls are only about 35 cents per minute. I've done this when planning trips to Europe, to make reservations by fax or phone, and then discontinue the plan (and the $4.95 per month) as soon as my plans are set. They also offer a call-home program, but it only works to your home number, and if you're in Europe, what's the point? (I think it's mostly for business travel.) I did find a really cool and cheap call-back service which had incredibly low rates from Europe to wherever you might need to call in the states, if you have to call home while you're there. Let me know if you need more info.

PS-- Re. ATT, be prepared to be on hold for a VERY long time -- have a good book to read while you navigate their system!

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 05:11 PM
Judy

I also got the AT&T one-rate global plan before our trip to England this past spring. The monthly charge was $3.00. Calls to England were only 12 cents/minute any time of the day. It really did make planning the trip fun! While in England, we actually used the call home feature several times and found it convenient.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 05:18 PM
Boots

This does not directly address your questions, Elisabeth, but I FAX hotels from my computer between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. The cost, usually about $1.75, goes on my AT&T bill. When I'm in Europe, I buy phone cards and call the US from a street phone. That is not great for long conversations, but mine are usually short.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 01:37 PM
dave

I obtained an Econophone international service when I was calling overseas. I believe I paid about 15 cents per minute on calls to Israel It supplements my regular long distance service. You can find them on the web at www.econophone.com. Their 800 no. is: 1 800 454 7091.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 01:37 PM
dave

I obtained an Econophone international service when I was calling overseas. I believe I paid about 15 cents per minute on calls to Israel It supplements my regular long distance service. You can find them on the web at www.econophone.com. Their 800 no. is: 1 800 454 7091.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 02:06 PM
expat

I have MCI. I pay $3.00 per month. Calls to UK are 10 cents per minute 24hrs/day M-Sat OR 9 cents per minute Sundays. I think it's a great rate and now regulary call relatives in Scotland. I'm not sure what the prices are for other European countries.

MCI's number is 800 444 3333

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 06:24 AM
Mary Ann

I second the MCI. We just finished using it. We set it up to start making reservations. Faxes took only 1 to 2 minutes. Phone calls first were helpful but with 9 cent sundays it was not a problem. During the week mainland Western Europe was 25 or 35 cents. And Eastern Europe all the time was 52 cents. Once you get the reservations set you can cancel it. Reconfirming generally can be done by email with most places.