Search

Eating in Pubs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 08:02 PM
JudyC

Eating in Pubs

Hi all -thanks for all the great info. We're trying to keep our costs down as much as possible and I was wondering if eating at pubs would be cost effective. thanks - Judy

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 08:24 PM
Patrick

I may be blasted for this, but pub food generally is fine -- sort of like a school cafeteria, filling and edible. Just don't expect it to be a great dining experience. There are now some very upscale pubs with real chefs and excellent food, but, of course, they would not be "cost effective". A plate of lasagna with chips and bread is very filling for about $5 or $6 US, so if your goal is to fill yourself for a low price, yes, pubs can fulfil that need.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 08:26 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Eating in pubs is cost effective, and is a pleasure. With the e-mail version of this message I am sending you a note I have on disk on pub lunches and on other cheap meals in London. Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Welcome to London <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 11:59 PM
Sheila

My view is the same as Ben's <BR> <BR>I was looking at the AA Guide to Pubs and Inns last night and wuld have thought it a reliable guide.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 12:10 AM
beenthere

Yes, pub food is fine, it's tobacco smoke that you have to worry about! If you are used to eating in smoke-filled rooms you'll have no problem. Otherwise, get ready to find the loo because the stench will nauseate you.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 01:24 AM
Nigel Doran

Many pubs have smoke-free areas nowadays, so don't expect to be asphyxiated in every British hostelry you might choose to enter. <BR>Time Out, which has a website, will tell you more about the best pubs to go to, in London at least. <BR>Unfortunately, some pub food is disappointing, basically made up of frozen, pre-packed meals reheated in a microwave! Other pubs are true 'gastro pubs' which offer really tasty food at tolerable prices.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 07:53 AM
Al

One of my fondest memories of visiting the city of York was to find myself late for lunch in that city. So I wandered into a pub not far from the railway station and asked the barmaid if I was indeed too late for lunch. She disappeared and in a flash returned with an enormous plate of delicious hot food, saying, "It's all we have--and it's yours--you get what was left!" Talk about a good deal! That enormous plate and a big glass of beer, all for less than $3. Needless to say, that was more than 20 years ago. But the memories remain.