Travel cards

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Joan

Travel cards

Can anyone explain the travel cards to me? We will be in London on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Myself, my husband, daughter(14), and son(20). Should we get a travel card and does anyone know what type? Thank you!

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 01:09 AM
anniel

hello from London.
You will find the info you want on:
www.londontransport.co.uk The site has a fares section with explanation on travelcards. Enjoy your trip

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 04:11 AM
elaine

Dear Joan
I have some info on travel cards in my London notes that I gleaned from the transport website, experience, and from this forum. If you would like to receive my London notes, please email me.

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 07:48 AM
greg

The site mentioned by Anniel explains all the passes (travel card) and tickets available. However drop the notion that it would be an easy choice, there enormous choices depending on where you are going, how many are going, what part of the day and what days of the week.

Passes require passport size photo. What they mean is SIZE, but not necessarily passport REGULATION compliant. As long as the size is approximately correct and shows your faces, they will take them. We just brought snapshot pictures cut to correct sizes, no additional cost of taking passport REGULATION compliant pictures.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 02:40 AM
Nigel Doran

I would first find out where you are staying and where you need to go. I assume you will be in Zone 1, so go for a Zone 1 Travelcard on Friday, buying it after 0930 for about £3. Then on Saturday and Sunday, buy yourself a Weekend Travelcard, once again checking to see where you need to go. For example, a Zone 1 and 2 Weekend Travelcard costs £5.80 and like all other cards is valid for Tubes, buses, overland trains and light rail systems within the specified zone. There is no need for a photograph and I believe buying these cards here is cheaper than over in the U S.
(There are 6 Tube Zones, but most of the things to see are in Zone 1 and perhaps 2. If you need to go the other zones, just buy an extension from the ticket window.)

Finally, don't be afraid of walking. Some tourists take the Tube for distances that could be walked far more quickly and easily.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 07:46 AM
Phil

Dear Joan,

I agree with most of what been said before. I think you should get your travelcards in London (travel agents at the place I live only sell 6-Zone travel cards valid one week).

First try to figure out what zones you will be needing: there is a zone map at the website referred to by anniel.

Photos are not needed for travel cards valid less than a week.

There is a special travelcard for families with children up to the age of 15. Its drawback: you have always to travel as a group.

If you plan to travel together, the least expensive way to go would be to buy a one day travelcard on Friday and a weekend travelcard on Saturday for your son, and family travelcards on each of the days for you, your husband and your daughter.

the prices are as follows:

one day travelcards:
zones 1-2: £3.90 (adults) £2.00 (children)
zones 1-4: £4.10 (adults) £2.00 (children)
zones 1-6: £4.70 (adults) £2.00 (children)

weekend travelcards:
zones 1-2: £5.80 (adults) £3.00 (children)
zones 1-4: £6.10 (adults) £3.00 (children)
zones 1-6: £7.00 (adults) £3.00 (children)

Family travelcards:
zones 1-2: £2.60 per adult £0.80 per child
zones 1-4: £2.70 per adult £0.80 per child
zones 1-6: £3.10 per adult £0.80 per child

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Phil

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 08:10 AM
Sondra

Hi Joan,

Yes, get a travel card, the tube can be costly if you keep paying individual fares. We go in May for 4 days and we bought our tickets at Brit Rail or you can ask your travel agent. We have a 4 day pass which cost $26 each. It is goog for zones 1 and 2 ( central area). The main reason we purchased our tickets ahead of time is you can use the day pass before 9:30. If you want to get an early start and beat the crowds you have to wait with the card you purchase there. I also choose it because I would only need to have the one card for the entire trip, no photo, and everyday we could just get up and go. They do have 3 day passes as well. The costs is slightly more, but not that much higher when you do the conversion and time factor. Enjoy your trip and ask for a youth rate for your daughter.