Eating in Izmir

Old Mar 12th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eating in Izmir

Interested in restaurant recommendations for eating in Izmir. Casual places for lunch & dinner, hopefully something along the waterfront. Will be visiting late May/early June. Won't have car to venture out too far. Non-touristy places with local charm are best. Thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not know izmir well, but i can make at least one suggestion: Deniz Restaurant on the Kordon around Alsancak is the famous one where i was always taken by people who thought I was an important person and needed to be impressed. The service was immaculate, the small plates of starters excellent and the fish like what a grilled fish should taste like. However, it is not a cheap restaurant. Neither is it as expensive as the famous restaurants of istanbul.

Just do not ask too many of the starters if you are going to order a main dish, fish or meat. Or stay with a nice bunch of starters including some freshly made fried calamari and borek.
Wine is very expensive, but if you like it go for Doluca Karma, Doluca DLC, Kavaklidere Selection or Doluca Kav, Unless you can find Sevilen Prodom 2007 or 2006 (Syrah, Cabernet, Petit Verdot), Kavaklidere Egeo 2007 (Cabernet+Merlot), Doluca Signium 2007. These are all reds.
The whites of the firsst group are quite good also and i would not pay the price of the second group for a white wine.

Your cheaper bet, and quite good with starters and fish is the traditional Turkish anise drink, Raki. A double with the added water and ice will give you the stomp of half a bottle of wine.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you otherchelebi - was hoping you would respond! We'll be celebrating our anniversary during our stay in Izmir so a dinner splurge will be in order!

Why do you doubt that you're an important person who needs to be impressed by your surroundings - we all are in some fashion! No doubt you enjoyed your visit!

Your posts are so delightful to read - I've visited Istanbul vicariously thru your posts - but we'll get to experience first hand on our upcoming trip!
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Thank you for the compliment.

you may also find my blogs amusing :

http://www.otherchelebistravels.blogspot.com/

hope you have a great anniversary.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Also visiting Turkey (Istanbul) for our anniversary end of March.
Someone on here had recommended Balikci Sabahattin. Good choice?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Balikci sabahattin was recommended by travelers who had stayed and eaten in the Sultanahmet area.

i had never heard of it until i read it here also.

I will definitely recommend Feriye restaurant for the view (not necessarily the food), which id exceptional for a romantic evening.

For more reasonable cost, and if it is fish and Meze that you wish, try ismet Baba at Kuzguncuk on the Asian side (used to accept only cash)

another restaurant on the Bosphorus which has a lovely view is Mia Mensa (not very turkish menu) at Kurucesme.

lebi derya or Mikla are also interesting alternatives at Beyoglu.