Eating in Amsterdam

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 06:50 AM
Jeff Holcomb

Eating in Amsterdam

Would someone suggest some good restaurants or cafes to visit in Amsterdam?

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 02:47 PM
Dennis

There were a few nice restaurants that we ate at, but I can only recall the name of one. Argentina Steak House, it had excellant food, food was grilled, steak, fish, chichen.

The otherone was an Italian one, I only remember it began with a T. Could be Trivoli. The advertisment had the name and a picture of a bowtie pasta. It was a beautiful converted cannal home, not near the center. (Closer to Ann Frank's house area). Food was great and atmosphere lovely, gave you a chance to be in an old cannal home.

We also enjoyed an Irish Pub near the center of town for a few drinks.

Not sure when you plan on going, but I had order an Entertaiment Book (USA) for Holland when we went. I was not able to read all the print explaining the food menu, but we were able to use a few of the coupons. We used a few for meals, 20% off including drinks, plus a canal cruise. The money we saved paid the cost of the book, plus some extra.

Have a wonderful trip. We really loved it. Excellant train ride. We went at the end of April, tulip time.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 07:24 AM
Polina

I love Amsterdam! My husband and I stayed in the Leidsplein area. There was an excellent Indonesian restaurant on Leidsplein called Bali. It was a bit on the pricy side, but so, so good. In the Rembrandtplein area called the Natch Watch (Night Watch). It's a steak house and it's excellent. They also serve seafood. There is one restaurant that my husband and I did not get to visit but wanted to very much. We saw it on a travel show on the Discovery Channel. It's called the Supper Club. I'm not sure where it is, exactly, but it seems like a blast. Everyone sits on a bed (actually, I think it's just supposed to look like a bed)and is served the nightly dinner. You can see into the kitchen while they prepare the food.

As far as cafes go, I am assuming you are refering to brown cafes. We went to many, but our favorites were the local cafes in the Leidsplein area. One is on Prinsengracht at Leidsplein and is called Easy Times and the other is two doors down and called Tops, I believe. Both have the same owner and serve alcohol as well, however they have completely different atmospheres. Easy Times is very dark and rastafarian, while Tops is lighter, louder and more of a hip scene. Enjoy Amsterdam!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 07:24 AM
Polina

I love Amsterdam! My husband and I stayed in the Leidsplein area. There was an excellent Indonesian restaurant on Leidsplein called Bali. It was a bit on the pricy side, but so, so good. In the Rembrandtplein area called the Natch Watch (Night Watch). It's a steak house and it's excellent. They also serve seafood. There is one restaurant that my husband and I did not get to visit but wanted to very much. We saw it on a travel show on the Discovery Channel. It's called the Supper Club. I'm not sure where it is, exactly, but it seems like a blast. Everyone sits on a bed (actually, I think it's just supposed to look like a bed)and is served the nightly dinner. You can see into the kitchen while they prepare the food.

As far as cafes go, I am assuming you are refering to brown cafes. We went to many, but our favorites were the local cafes in the Leidsplein area. One is on Prinsengracht at Leidsplein and is called Easy Times and the other is two doors down and called Tops, I believe. Both have the same owner and serve alcohol as well, however they have completely different atmospheres. Easy Times is very dark and rastafarian, while Tops is lighter, louder and more of a hip scene. Enjoy Amsterdam!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 06:51 PM
Ellen

One of my favorites was the restaurant named "De Roode Leuw" or something like that! Anyway, it is on Damrak, about 1 long block down from the train station. Very good food too and moderate prices. The Reflect Braserie in the Krasnapolsky hotel is moderate priced and very nice too. Do make sure you try the Indonesian "ristafel" as there is nothing like that in the U.S. Very small portions of about 12-20 foods are served and you'll enjoy it if you like your food a little spicy.
Ellen

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 12:56 PM
Jeff Holcomb

Thank you all very much for your help. I appreciate it.

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 02:22 AM
Neil

Jeff,
There is a great Italian restaurant called Toscanini on Lindengracht and a very fine formal restaurant at the Amstel Hotel (but it's expensive). Also try Cafe Berne for fondue (it's near the Oude Kirke) and Pier 10 for very good and fellini-esque dining (It's out at the end of the tenth pier behind the station). Have a great time
Neil

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 03:39 AM
alberto ricca

D'Vijff Vlieghen
Spuistraat 294-302
this is the name of very excellent restaurant in Amsterdam.
On Spui, near Beghinhof there are many good restaurants, such as Luden , Hasje class, i ate there 3 years ago and i was very well.

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 05:05 AM
ilisa

I echo Ellen's recommendation for De Roode Leuwe (The Red Lion). It is part of a hotel of the same name, though you would not know it from the outside. The food there was very good; suprisingly, the hotel was nice too. When we were there, we also enjoyed eating off of the street vendors - shwarma, waffles, etc. - for a quick meal or snack.