Search

Eataly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eataly

I'm going to be in Turin for a few days. I heard about this place called Eataly Turin that promotes the slow food movement specializing in fresh ingredients from the Piedmont region. It has several different restaurants for lunch or dinner. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it worth going out of your way for? If I'm sightseeing, maybe ordinary restaurants would be just as good and more convenient.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM

I've never been. But they are opening a huge New York City Eatitaly in the spring, so if you don't make it to the original in Turin....
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM

Great food city. I believe the Eataly is in the Lingotto area, home of the old Fiat factory (and a great little museum), but not exactly in the most charming part of town. Not unsafe but a short cab or tram ride from the main downtown areas.

If you walk from there over to the Po you can stroll parkland back toward the heart of the city. It's a decent distance but lovely on a nice day.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM

Have you looked at Eataly's own Web site?

http://www.eatalytorino.it/eatalytor...come_eng.lasso

I'm not sure I'd go there to eat - only GuidoperEataly is a full-service restaurant, the others are "ristorantini" that specialize in salumi, raw fish, pasta, whatever - but most of the "foodie" reports I have seen have raved about the quantity and the quality of Italian - not only Piedmontese - food products on sale there.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM

After checking Zerlina's link, that building was used as the Main Press Center during the 2006 Olympics. There's a great little shop across Via Nizza with chocolate-hazelnut filled mini-cannolis ... yum.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have looked at the website and have it bookmarked. Maybe I can work it into other sightseeing.

Thanks to all.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
DRJ

I visited Eataly a couple of months ago. Its a short cab ride from center city and a worthwhile experience. There are several small eateries featuring specialties such as salumi at one, cheese at another, vegetarian at another, etc.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

I checked out the suggestion to walk along the river through the park. According to the map, it's only a short distance to cut over to Eataly from there. That looks very do-able since I want to go to the park anyway.

I am curious as to why they chose a play on English words to name it since it's based on everything authentically Italian.