easyjet or easypain

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easyjet or easypain

I am travelling to London from Australia in May 2008. I wish to travel onwards from London to Amsterdam. Thean from Paris to London I have the seen the show on TV for easyjet. Are they Okay? Some people seem to have a lot of trouble getting from A to B
I have noticed that their bookings are not open as yet for my time of travel. Am I better boarding at Gatwick, Luton or Stanstead which is closer to central London? Your advice is sought.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
nothing at all wrong w/ easyJet -- as long as you meet the strict luggage and check in requirements.

Stanstead or Gatwick would be slightly preferable to Luton.

But for your return from Paris to London you would be better off taking the train.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:35 PM

There are good train links to all of the airports mentioned.

You can get to Luton from Kings Cross and St Pancras (I think there is a bus service to the terminal), Stansted from Liverpool Street, Gatwick from Victoria. So I guess it would depend on how convenient one of these stations is to where you are staying, how much the train fare is to each of the stations and how much the airfare is.

There are several carriers that you can choose from other than Easyjet. Sometimes scheduled airlines such as BA or AF/KL have good or better fares travelling from Heathrow esp if you book this far in advance (avoiding the Public Holidays during May).

Since the exact date of travel is not known it is not possible to say that taking the Eurostar back from Paris is definitely a better option pricewise. You can take Eurostar with a connection to Amsterdam and direct train back from Paris.

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM

I haven't seen the TV show, but from what I have heard, it is basically sensationalized. After taking months and months of footage, the most lurid incidents are broadcast. I've taken EasyJet from Amsterdam to London Gatwick, and it all went very nicely (as well as taking a bunch of other EasyJet flights all of which were totally boring so far as any exciting events occurring). BMI is another carrier you could use, which goes to Heathrow.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:40 AM

Our most recent Easyjet experience consisted of a flight from Athens to Gatwick.

It went without a hitch. They did exactly what they said they would do, enforced the luggage weight restrictions, etc., and we had planned accordingly.

We would, without hesitation, use them again.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM

Easyjet are fine.

Don't forget its a TV programme - showing all the millions of journeys that go without a hitch of any sort would be a pretty boring programme. Then of course, most of the people shown having trouble have brought it on themselves by turning up late, not booking correctly, not having valid passports, being drunk etc.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:20 AM

I have flown easyJet many times, and can assure you they are reputable and reliable, probably the best of the budget airlines. The Summer 2008 easyJet timetable should appear online soon. Keep an eye out for it, as the earlier you book, the cheaper the price.

For your return from Paris to London, recommend you consider the train, as janisj suggested - it is actually quicker to get from central Paris to central London by train.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:34 AM

As many others have said, Easy jet are ok.

The cost is low so obviously they operate very tightly.
You must be there to check in at the time they say, there is little flexibility, but you know that when you book.

Let's face it, if the tv program was a true representation of a day in the life of EJ they would be out of business by now.

I wouldn't hesitate flying with them again. Don't believe all you see on the tv.

My only arguement with EJ is that they do not allocate seats, there is a bit of a free for all at boarding. However if you get checked in first you will enter the first group to be boarded club.So check in early !!
Plus you can pay extra for priority boarding now I believe.
Good luck
Muck
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:50 AM

Regarding where to board, Gatwick and Stansted can be reached easily by train from London, Luton by airport bus, which would take a little longer. I have to say, though, that Luton is a smaller airport, and less of a 'zoo' than the others.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Dear Odin

What does the Airline AF/KL represent I know what BA is I think British Airways.

Thanks
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:49 AM

For the low cost air carriers in Europe, try first searching www.kayak.co.uk or www.whichbudget.com for your destinations and dates. Easy Jet is not the only one. And even the bigger carriers often match the discount ones where they compete.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At a guess AF/KL would be Air France or KLM (I think they might be one company these days)
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM

Add www.skyscanner.net as a way to search all budget airlines simultaneously.

Add yourself to Easyjet's e-mail list and you'll be notified when new schedules are opening.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:54 AM

AF=Air France KL=KLM but they are one company now.

BMI Baby also fly in and out of Heathrow to Amsterdam but not to/from Paris. You can check British Airways too, as sometimes the cost of getting to the airports can outweigh any saving on low cost carriers such as Easyjet.

If you want to check UK train schedules, you can view them on www.thetrainline.com
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:09 AM

Forgot to mention another option which is to fly from London city airport.

VLM fly from LCY (London city apt) to Amsterdam and AF back from Paris Orly to LCY. Of all the airports in London it has to be easiest and you can reach it on Docklands Light Railway.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM

>>sometimes the cost of getting to the airports can outweigh any saving on low cost carriers such as Easyjet.<<

So where does easyJet land in Amsterdam? Schiphol, of course, the same airport as BA, KLM, and all the other major airlines. The above satement may be true of Ryanair and some other budget airlines, but not of easyJet.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:11 AM

<<< So where does easyJet land in Amsterdam? >>>

So where does Easyjet land in London?
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:42 AM

GAtwick, Stansted, and Luton. Of the three I prefer Luton.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM

Heimdall-
Indeed the airlines mentioned may all use Schiphol however they all use different departing airports ex UK which all have varying journey times and costs associated with getting to each airport.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank all for the information. It does make sense when paying transfers to airports. I am staying near Hammersmith station might be cheaper to go from Heathrow.

Beargirl

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -