Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easy walk from the Spanish Steps to St. Peter's Basilica?

Sep 8th, 2000, 10:41 AM
JoAnn

Is this a doable walk? How far it is? How about Spanish Steps to the Roam Forum?

Sep 8th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Rose

Hi JoAnn, that is a nice walk, not too strenuous, but it does take an hour or so. I did it in Oct 1999, and really enjoyed it. I went from the Spanish steps to the Pantheon, and then on to Via Guillia (sp?), to the road that lines the Tiber river. St Peters is across the river, you just need to cross at a bridge. Approx. one hour, no hill, and I wasn't rushing. The walk really helped me get my bearings and tie in all of the landmarks. Hope this helps!

Sep 8th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Rose

The Spanish steps to the forum is an easy walk, but more attention is needed to map reading. Still an easy walk. The center of Rome is quite compact. The maps give an idea of this huge area, but in reality the Historical center is walkable.

Sep 8th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Walter

JoAnn: Using my "Streetwise Rome" map and scale, the distance "as the crow flies" is.
Bottom of Spanish Steps to St. Peter's Square is ~2.7km or ~1.6mi. From the Steps to the Forum entrance is ~1.9km or ~1.2mi. Also there is a Metro stop (Spagna) at the Spanish Steps that will take you directly (3rd stop) to the Ottaviano Metro stop and it's ~.9km/.6mi to St. Peter's Square. To go to the Forum by Metro you would have to switch to the "B" line at Termini (easy and the 2nd stop is Colosseo Metro stop which is right across the street from the Colosseum and the Forum entrance is ~.6km/.33mi just down the street. HTH Regards, Walter

Sep 8th, 2000, 01:35 PM
JoAnn

Walter, you are such a godsend! Thank you, dear. I have printed your other posts on Pompeii, et. al. They are such a gem of information. God bless.