East Coast/Adriatic Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone traveled and toured this area? I see many posts about the Cinque Terre, Naples, Rome areas, but nothing on the other side. Just wondering if there is anything over there to see?
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Venice?
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Of course there is! Depends on your interests, of course, as to where it should fall within your list of priorities. As another poster said, Venice is on the Adriatic side. Ravenna and its mosaics. The Rimini/San Marino area. Trieste. Ancona. The "Conero Riviera." Bari. The Marches generally. Urbino. Fracassi caves. Macerata. Civitanova Marche and Alte. Etc. In many of these areas, a car would be the best way to explore.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Singletail

Whereas I have found this board to be very useful in many respects, I think one of its shortcomings (if that is really the term) is that posts tend to be about the more "popular" destinations and countries. If one didn't know better you might think that Tuscany is the ONLY place worth visiting in Italy, for example. And even when you asked about the Adriatic, one of the responders came up with Venice as if that, alone, were enough (and for many, it is).
I think you should be grateful that Eliztrav posted the excellent response which points out one of this board's STRONG points: there are many people who read the messages and they have, fortunately, varied travel interests and experiences.

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - we're thinking of flying into venice, staying there for a few days and then either driving or taking a train down to Lecce next Easter. Our interests are varied - some churches, some museums, some villages, etc. We'll have around 9 days for the entire trip - coming from the midwest.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:01 AM

What a lovely trip down the eastern coast of Italy you are planning! It is, of course, a long way down to Lecce from Venice. Why don't you scope out where you might most want to explore inland (off the main rail line) by car, and then plan a train/car split? Otherwise, you may mostly just be driving the entire time.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:50 AM

I didn't come up with Venice as if that alone is enough, the question asked was is there anything "over there to see"?
It seemed a fairly basic question, I offered a fairly basic answer.cmeyer hadn't mentioned at that point that Venice was already part of the plan.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Lecce is a beautiful city and the rest of Puglia is well worth seeing. The coastline of the Gargano peninsula is as beautiful as the Amalfi Coast and has some incredible grottoes and faraglioni like Capri. We stayed outside the village of Mattinata and from there explored Vieste, San Giovanni Rotundo, Monte San Angelo, Andria and Canae. Further south, we stayed at Il Melograno, a converted Masseria near Monopoli. From there we saw Bari, Ostuni, Otranto, Lecce, Gallipoli and Alberobello. I don't think the beach resorts between Venice and Pescara are all that great but on the way, you could see the Shrine at Loreto and stop for lunch in the hilltop town of Silvi Alta at Ristorante Vecchia Silvi. Great food and incredible view of the coastline.