Early Morning Flight from Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a question yesterday about a tentative fall trip to Italy consisting of Venice / Florence / Tuscany / Rome. My original plan was to do it in this order, flying into Venice and out of Rome. However, I then determined that if I fly into Rome and out of Venice, the total flight time is significantly reduced, by 2 hours on the way there, and by 3 and a half hours on the return home. In addition, departing from Venice, we would be home by 3:45 pm, whereas departing from Rome would mean we would not be home until 12:56 am (and we have an event to attend the next day at which we would like to be somewhat alert). The catch is that if we depart from Venice, the departure time is 6:30 am, versus noonish from Rome. I received a number of helpful comments on my proposed itinerary in my prior post, but one poster indicated that he would not reverse the itinerary from Rome to Venice if our flight from Venice departs early in the morning, but did not indicate why. Can anyone tell me what the problem is with early morning flights from Venice (i.e. 6:30 am departure)so that I can assess whether or not this would be a problem for us?

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:16 AM

I myself had to depart at 5:30am from Venice last spring and it wasn't that big a deal.

Just make sure to reserve a water taxi to take you to the airport.

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:18 AM
ira

Hi tg,

Some people don't like to get up that early, that's all.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:24 AM
eri

That's right. No problem at all.
Just remember that you will have to depart from around 100 Euros. That is how much a water taxi will cost you at 4:30 AM! (about 130 dollars). Now you have to decide what is worth more to you the 130 bucks or a bit of inconvenience.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Well, it is up to you. You can pay the $$ or you can spend your last nite in Mestre and catch the 0500 bus from there. We have done that--not a big deal if you want to stay the last nite elsewhere. Just more hassle !
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM
PMB

If you have to leave Venice, a water taxi ride to the airport early in the morning with the sun coming up and no one else about is a great way to do it. It is still a wonderful memory.