Search

Earl's Court

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:12 PM
Carla

Earl's Court

My sister and I have reservations the end of May at the Quality Inn South Kensington located in Courtfield Gardens. This looks to be at the edge of Earl's Court. The more I read about the neighborhood, the more uncertain I am. Should we make new reservations in a better area? We will be paying about 80 pounds a night. Can we get anyplace much better for that amount? We will be going to the Chelsea Flower show and the usual London sites, so we want easy tube connections.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:48 PM
sokurrah

earl's court isn't a bad place. some people might tell you differant. but it's as good as any. don't worry about the tube you will find stations everywhere. it is real easy to get around. once you learn it you will be going all over the place.it's a blast.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:38 PM
janis

I would rent a flat instead but you will be OK there. Earls Court is spotty - some of it is just fine and other parts are pretty seedy. But certainly not dangerous. I personally don't like Earls Court because it is just an area of so so tourist hotels, the exhibition center and Olympia. It is not scenic and none of the biggest attractions are nearby. Many budget travelers swear by the area since there are so many inexpensive hotels/B&Bs and the tube connections are good.<BR><BR>Many of the properties in Earls Court know about the area's reputation and are now saying they are in S. Kens. But that is just a marketing ploy. Earls Court is Earls Court and S Kensington is S Kensington.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:30 PM
Bob

I stayed just around the corner from the Earl's Court tube station a couple years ago with a group of students and we never had any trouble.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Hugh

My wife and I stayed in Earl's Court last spring and had no problems at all. Good pubs, convenient tube station, grocers, etc. We felt very comfortable there. (We stayed at the Burns Hotel, and as Janis alluded to above, its now called the Burns-Kensington!)

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Andrea

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in that area and found the hotel to be very nice. The area is not exciting...and the nearest tube, Earl's Court, is at least a good 15-20 minute ride to tourist things to do like Covent Gardens, Theatreland, etc. Try their 800 number and ask for the "stand-by rate" usually a good discount from regular rates.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:57 AM
sc

My daughter and I stayed in Earl's Court a while back and enjoyed it. Yes, it can be a bit seedy, but it is no more so than the Village or Soho in NYC. Lot’s of young people, lots of great ethnic cuisine (cheap) and lots of hotels and B&B’s.<BR><BR>It’s not the most centrally located place but that’s why they have the Tube. Speaking of which, when you exit the Underground and look straight ahead of you, you will see a street leading away at a slightly askew angle. If you walk down that street you will find hotel after hotel. We stayed in the Ramses (NOT recommended) then moved on to the New Aquarius which was actually quite nice. We haggled a bit and the room, for two with bathroom, was something like &pound;37! I will grant you that what passes for “breakfast” in most of these places is a sad affair, if you’re lucky it will be cold cereal, cold, limp toast, and Tang the color of rust. But you’ll save enough on your room to treat yourself to one of the great bakeries in the area.<BR><BR>Granted that was in March, the “off” season, but hey, that’s cheap and the place was fine.<BR><BR>If you’re there, exit the Tube station and head left, a couple of blocks down you will see a skuzzy little place called Star Kabobs. To die for. <BR><BR>Have fun. I’m leaving for London myself in about 24 hours.<BR>