Search

Durham/UK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durham/UK

My family of 4 ( 2 girls ages 9 & 13 ) will be spending a night in Durham. Any tips for great place to stay/eat would really be appreciated.......
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 03:53 PM

It's been a while but the Swallow Three Tuns was excellent, great breakfast and dinner. The hotel is just across the river from the city center. Walk over one bridge to the center, visit the University and the Cathedral and return by a different bridge. Our room was on the river side and we looked up at the Cathedral. Lovely.

We had a most pleasant experience there which occurred just after the spring crew races. We noticed a young lady and a young man one of whom was wearing a teeshirt showing the colors of the crews and asked where we could purchase one for a gift. "Sold out", she said "but I know the person who was in charge of the sales and I'll be happy to send one to you on the next printing.
X pounds will cover it." Sure enough, in the fall came a package and a note from a very nice student.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow, what a great story. You like to hear that things that that can still happen. Thanks much for the recommendation - sounds wonderful.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 01:02 AM

Don't miss the local delicacy- 'stottie cakes'. The Cathedral in Durham is my favourite in England. Have a great time.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 03:56 AM

Unfortunately it might be the wrong time of year, but you can stay in Durham castle during the university holidays - it's quite basic (it's a student hall of residence) but it could be fun! Durham university should have more details of when it's open. Other than the Three Tuns there's also the County Hotel (run by Marriott) which is also very central.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

bellini & Janauk: Thanks for the tips. Durham continues to sound more and more interesting!