Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK - Moslem Areas that 'Are No Go for Caucasians'?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not believe what i heard on NPR about some wag claiming that Britain has pretty much had its 1.5 million or so Moslem immigrant or ethnic population in a relatively few compact areas, mainly in the grim North it said

That much i know as i have walked thru such areas in many cities and always enjoyed the difference as well as those colorful pastries and pokhoras (sp?)

But then he said many of these areas were 'No go zones for Caucasians'

Well i am just a tourist so really haven't been to all of these places but i've never felt threatened walking thru

Are there such areas and should i have pause for safety

I mean it sounds like pockets of Taliban in UK

Say it ain't so
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you may find that "That wag" was the Bishop of Rochester.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7173599.stm
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes it's coming back now and he's been castigated for his comments

thanks for jigging my old memory
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Sounds like this is an agenda of the Church of England, who are trying to scare people into going back to church ($$$)- pretty dispictable, if you ask me. No doubt the Bishop of Rochester was chosen as the "no go zone" spokesmodel because his name is Dr Michael Nazir-Ali.

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 07:33 AM

Caucasians can be Muslims: Bosnians are Caucasians, and there are many other ethnic groups in former Soviet republics, to say nothing of converts.

It's a religion, not a race.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 08:01 AM

I know producing evidence to prove your case is rather old hat these day, but I would have thought that even a CofE bishop would be sufficiently old-fashioned to produce evidence
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 08:36 AM
J62

Which definition of caucasian is being used here?

1 Referring to the race (anthropology), which includes peoples from the Indian sub-continent, through all of the middle east, North Africa, and Europe - including but broader than Ackislander states. This would include basically Muslims from the Middle East.

2. Referring to a White Christians? This is a very narrow, often politically motivated definition of caucasian.

Any statements such as this, especially from someone in a position of authority such as a Bishop that cast generalizations over an entire ethnic group smack of outright bigotry.

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

So i gather that there are indeed no No Go Areas for non-Moslem Caucasians?
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Caucasians are people living in Caucasia. That would be in countries like Georgia and Armenia. The only Caucasians living in western Europe are immigrants from there. Why on earth should Armeninans not be able to go to certain areas in the UK!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM

There have been inter-community problems in a few northern towns, and there is a separate rumbling problem of teenage gangs in relatively run-down areas, which may take on a racial/ethnic tinge.

I live in a borough which is around 25-30% Bangladeshi, with additional Pakistani and Somali communities among others, so there's a strong Muslim presence. I'm not aware of anywhere being a "no-go" area for me.

But I suppose it's possible that someone passing through is not particularly noticed. Someone knocking on doors to promote a locally-unpopular point of view might attract some attention from self-appointed "community leaders" - that's not exclusive to any particular racial or religious group. of course.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM

"Sounds like this is an agenda of the Church of England, who are trying to scare people into going back to church "

Got a shred of evidence for this fatuous assertion, have you?

Nazir-Ali - who's about as junior in the Anglican hierarchy as it's possible for a bishop to be - was expressing his own views. The Anglican Church has gone out of its way throughout today to make it clear it had nothing to do with them.

Anglicanism doesn't do have the Stalinist tradition of other churches - such as my own - of requiring its members and dignitaries to say only what's official policy. Pretty much since Elizabeth 1 became Governor, it's encouraged freedom of speech, and no more has an agenda - for anything - than the average jellyfish.

Now, instead of offensive inventions, do you have any useful contribution on whether Nazir-Ali's right or not?
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remind me what religion was Nazir-Ali born into?
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM

PQ

you really do have to start taking a more rounded view of the world. Every quote from every fruitcake in the world does not have to be take as the rational truth.

The statement is a total load of garbage - I would like facts and specific areas not just vague generalisations from the white god squad.

I have grew up in two areas of the UK with large muslim populations. Although, the races seem to live apart, there is very little ghetto feeling and I have NEVER felt threatened in an asian area.

Quite the opposite and try a white trash area of Salford or Black Afro Moss Side for size. Just take a shotgun with you.

If you want generalisations, here's one that has more weight - Amir Khan is an accurate face of todays British muslim.