Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"dumb question" ??? Do the hotels in Paris have ice machines??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not really a dumb question--I just did not know where to look for info---so of course Fordities would know...
My brother said ice was hard to find when he went to Italy--but this was years ago..
OK --Are there "7-11' type stores where you can purchase???
FYI - this is not related to drinks---I have a "trick" shoulder and if becomes painful-ice pack is the best treatment..
I guess I could get ice via room service ???
Ordinarily I would call the hotel but since I don't speak French !!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Depends on the hotel. I have rarely seen them in two and three stars. The Mariott Rive Guache is actually the only place I can recall seeing one.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM

I'm sorry, traveller 24, but, the way you have asked it, it really is a dumb question. How on earth do you expect anyone to know the "ice-machine attributes" of every hotel in Paris?
If an ice-machine is essential, then, once you have narrowed down your choices by price and location, it is time to start asking them by email if they have an ice-machine. Individual Fodorites may know about the ice-machine attributes of the hotel they stayed in, but that is not going to help you very much, unless you happen to name a hotel someone else has been to. At a rough guess, I would suggest that ice-machines are much less common in Europe than they are in America. I would guess 4- and 5-star hotels might be more likely to have them than 1-,2-,or 3-star hotels.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I've never seen an ice machine in any hotel anywhere in France. Most hotels can provide you with ice if you ask, though, as can any bar. I've never seen a 7-11-type store (alimentaire) that sold ice, either.

Just ask your hotel.

I'm sorry, traveller 24, but, the way you have asked it, it really is a dumb question. How on earth do you expect anyone to know the "ice-machine attributes" of every hotel in Paris?
If an ice-machine is essential, then, once you have narrowed down your choices by price and location, it is time to start asking them by email if they have an ice-machine. Individual Fodorites may know about the ice-machine attributes of the hotel they stayed in, but that is not going to help you very much, unless you happen to name a hotel someone else has been to. At a rough guess, I would suggest that ice-machines are much less common in Europe than they are in America. I would guess 4- and 5-star hotels might be more likely to have them than 1-,2-,or 3-star hotels.

We have not stayed in a hotel with an ice machine that I can recall. We usually stay in apartments now so it has been a few years but I cannot imagine the usually 3 star hotels we used to stay in adding ice machines. Most did not have the extra space available.
We have always just called the front desk and had ice brought to the room.....sometimes in a container as little as a teacup however! Perhaps if you can tell them what it is for you can get it in the quantity you need.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Why don't you bring some ice packs with you and ask the hotel if they will freeze them for you. You have a better chance of doing this than getting ice from many Paris hotels and it's less messy than wrapping ice in a towel and having it drip all over.

A question - why do you think the staff of your Paris hotel does not speak English? Most Europeans interacting with tourists speak several languages, including and especially English. How did you book the hotel if you don't speak French and they don't speak English?

No hotel I've stayed at in Paris had ice machines but I was able to get ice from the front desk upon asking in English. I've never seen ice in convenience stores. Not to say that the stores don't have ice but I've not seen ice in stores.

Not a dumb question. Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on finding one. Ice machines are as rare as hen's teeth in Europe. And, no, you can't usually buy it at convenience stores. In any full-service hotel, though, you should be able to have ice delivered from room service.

If you must have ice and your hotel can't get it for you, I suggest McDonald's. Seriously.

I don't know how that happened! I just wanted to make a fairly feeble joke with CarolA, that the Rive Gauche is famous for its painters, who may have used guache (or gouache) paint.
Always, always, always use the 'Preview' button. Maybe you did, and still didn't notice.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Good job, Bert4545, of calling him dumb twice!
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:58 PM

You could e-mail the hotel you are staying at,someone at the desk will be able to read English. I stayed at a hotel that had an ice machine, and I think it was Grand Hotel des Balcons but my memory may not be accurate. It was very nice for those times you wanted to chill wine in the evening!
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Le Meridien Montparnasse had an ice machine. I think the consensus is to not expect it, but check with the hotel. The staff at Parisian hotels will have someone who speaks English, at least if it's a 3* or 4* hotel.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM

I got ice when I needed it from the front desk in a very small hotel in the Left Bank. They put the ice in a ceramic pitcher. Maybe you could bring a couple of zip-loc plastic bags to use.

I've never seen an ice machine in any hotel I've stayed at in Europe. The McDonalds suggestion is worth considering.

If you called a Paris there would be someone who understands English.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Also, if there's an outdoor market anywhere near your hotel, the poissoniers are almost always willing to give you a bag of ice from their stalls.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have never seen an ice machine in a hotel.

When I used to travel around with my parents (but not in Paris, since I live here and have all the ice I need!), we discovered the interesting technique of going to the nearest hypermarket cafeteria and filling a plastic bag from the ice machine there. Nobody ever challenged us, even though we were not eating there.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM

I don't find it a dumb question at all. In my personal experience, in the hotels I've stayed at, I've never seen one. Possibly higher star hotels might have them. It's not like here in the States where they're easy to find. Personally, I could have used one a few times when I ended up with an injury or more in Paris. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM

I asked a restaurant for ice once. I wanted my drink cold! They brought me like 3 ice cubes. So even if you order ice from the hotel, they will never give you enough for a shoulder.

I agree your best bet would be to pack some nice ice packs that will cover your shoulder and ask them to kindly put them in the freezer for you. Just don't forget them when you check out!
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Very few hotels have ice machines. the ones that do are generally american brand chain hotels - and often not even then.

If it's a sizable hotel you should be able to explain the problem and get ice from the kitchen. (I was at a meeting once with a woman who had turned her ankle and they supplied her with large bags of ice several times - at no charge, since she tripped in their lobby). If it's a small hotel, very likely not.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:33 PM

You may want to take a picture of a bucket of ice cubes - many Europeans aren't sure what an ice cube is. I thought I was going to die one hot summer in France and no one seemed to understand I HAD to have ice in my drink. I was going crazy.
The first thing I did when I returned home was to go out to eat and asked for a glass of nothing but ice! I felt like it was scared and precious.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM

When I had a traveled with a problem that required icing I took a bunch of chemical ice packs. They were light, inexpensive and easy to pack. I got them at a local medical supply shop. As I used them up I filled my suitcase with souvenirs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -