Search

Dumb $ Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Lucinda

Dumb $ Question

I'll be traveling to Germany and France in September, and although I've traveled extensively, I've never used a credit card to get local currency. Can I simply use my GM Mastercard (Cirrus) to get local money? (This is not an ATM card.) And would there be places at CDG and FRA where I can do so?<BR><BR>Many thanks,<BR><BR>Luci

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:01 AM
doh

Yes, you can use your 'Cirrus' card to withdraw money - just as you would at home.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:05 AM
xxxx

Yes but beware....this is called a cash advance and two bad things happen with cash advances:<BR><BR>1. Many banks charge ridiculous fees running from $10 on up up front for a cash advance on a credit card.<BR><BR>2. The interest clock starts running immediately and there is no float as there is with purchases.<BR><BR>But why bother? Why not call your bank and get an ATM card where the fees, if any, are much lower and there is no interest to deal with. After all, this is now the 21st century

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Lucinda

Actually, I just turned in my ATM card a week or two ago because the bank informed me that they'll be charging a $2.50 monthly fee for it, and I rarely use it.<BR><BR>Luci

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:11 AM
ron

Guys, I think the question is, can she go up to an exchange booth and buy local money using a credit card? In such a case it would not be a cash advance, with all the attendant charges and interest. I've never thought of trying it, so I have no idea what the answer is.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Willie

Did you say, "Fees, if any", Many X's?<BR>Perhaps you'd better think 21st Century.<BR><BR>Willie

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Mike

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my hotel would advance me cash on my trip to London. They just booked it to my room so I didn't have a flat fee of any kind, just the conversion fee for my credit card. And, I got points at the Marriott b/c it showed as a purchase and then I got points for my credit card as well. You might consult your hotel to see if this is possible...very convenient for me it was.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Lucinda

Ron, I was thinking of a machine that I insert the card into, along with a pin number.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Luci

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:30 AM
ron

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought it was a poorly worded smart question, but I was wrong. My credit card works in an ATM to withdraw cash from my chequing account, but I choose not to use it that way because of the consequences if the machine chooses not to return the card.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:32 AM
xxx

There remain some banks which treat their customers fairly that do not charge for using an ATM card to withdraw money from another bank. USAA in San Antonio Texas is one.<BR><BR>Incidentally, as a reminder, by the rules of the shared teller networks, when you are out of your home country i.e. the country where the ATM card is issued, the bank owning the ATM is not allowed to add on a fee for using its machine.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:37 AM
xxx

Then it is not a credit card...it is a debit card. Yes you can use it in the ATM's and whatever fee there is, and if the fee is more than 12 cents you are being ripped off, will be what your bank wants to charge you. Why do I say 12 cents...because that's the amount it costs your bank for the transaction.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Mike

Just got back from Germany and France. Between my wife & I, we departed on the trip with about $300, and returned with that exact amount.<BR><BR>We call it an ATM here in the states, but it is basically a money machine. I used both my MC credit card, and my VISA debit card (debit from my checking acount), and had no problems using either, plus no fees<BR><BR>We never had a problem finding one -- just ask someone where you can find a money machine. They are at the airports once you clear customs, and in all the major towns. <BR><BR>Just put your card in, enter your pin, and grab your Euros. It's like magic.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Lucinda

Thanks, Mike, et.al., for the help.<BR><BR>Luci

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:35 PM
james

Do those ATMs accept six digit PINs?

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Elizabeth

We just sent my son off to Spain with both a debit and credit card so in case one gets stolen, doesn't work, gets eaten by the machine, etc. he has the other. The bank here told us that the pin numbers in Europe tend to be 4 digits vs. the 6 digit one he has for the debit card so that he should just use the first 4 digits of his pin number to access the account.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Marilyn

Lucinda -- My advice is to switch banks (or threaten to). I have used my ATM card all over the world to debit my checking account. It is the easiest, cheapest, most flexible way to get local currency. I have never been charged any fee and the exchange rate is usually comparable to a credit card transaction (not quite as good). <BR><BR>I also like being able to get small sums of money more frequently so I am carrying less cash at any one time, and the option of getting a lot of cash if I want to purchase something expensive and they don't take credit cards.Cash advances on your credit card are VERY expensive in fees and interest. In my opinion they are for emergency only.<BR><BR>Even if I wasn't using my ATM card in this way, I would certainly not put up with a monthly charge for having the card. Most people think bank fees are non-negotiable, but I learned from being in business that you can bargain with your bank a lot more than you think. It's a very competitive environment out there -- why else do you think they run so many radio and print ads?<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:23 AM
frank

Some US banks seem to regard a sudden unheralded cash withdrawal in Europe as a "suspicious transaction" and freeze the account.(unusual but it happens)<BR> You should call your bank, ask your questions, then tell them you intend to use the card in this way.<BR>ATM cards are generally the best way to get cash, perhaps you should ask for one.