Reload this Page >

New twist on ATM/credit card issue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Jim

Just got off the phone with my bank's debit card department inquiring about fees for ATM use in Italy. Bank rep suggested that I try to go into banks in Italy and get a cash advance at a teller window using my US debit card, as opposed to using an ATM machine. According to her, there are no fees on either end for this kind of transaction. She told me that my bank charges $1.00 USD for all ATM transactions, and they have experienced up to $10 USD from the foreign card network on the other end per transaction. Obviously this wouldn't work except during regular bank hours and if there was a convenient bank at hand. Anybody have any experience with this practice?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:04 AM
elvira

Yes, I've used bank tellers and exchange bureaux to get money. No ATM fees, of course, but you are still subject to your own bank's "exchange fee". I've never had the foreign bank include any weird fees, but I've used big honker banks like Citibank (yes, they are in Paris) or Lloyd's, so those weird fees might be charged by smaller banks.<BR><BR>Another sidebar: if you need a cash advance from your credit card (only for dire emergency), go to an exchange bureau. A majority of times, the transaction goes through as a "purchase", not a cash advance, and no fees accrue until your regular billing cycle.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Ron

ttt

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Marie

to the top

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 02:51 PM
XXXXX

Easiest way to handle cash is to overpay your credit card before you go say 2,000 and use your card for cash machines and regular purchases. No fees this way whatsoever. Make sure you call your credit card company to let them know of your plans.If you have a credit balance they can't charge any interest.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Alice the Magyar

Sorry to say I c

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Alice the Magyar

Sorry to say,I called citibank today. you are charged 19.9% plus 3% even if you over pay your bill. It is just like a cash advance they told me. I even asked to speak to<BR>the supervisor. I asked why they would charge me that if I had my bill over paid. She said it was still like a cash advance period.I spoke with at least five different people, because I called them back to talk to someone different. So think twice about doing that, or call them yourself.Alice

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:09 AM
mikey

Check with the issuer of your credit card to see if prepaying cash into your account wll permit you to withdraw cash overseas without fees or interest for cash advance.<BR>USAA issued Visa/MC have allowed this in the past!