Dumb driving question

Feb 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Dumb driving question

O.K., complete Europe tourista rookie here. Can smeone tell me the ins/outs of driving in the Tuscany region of Italy? Do they drive on the same side as in the USA, or opposite side? Best type of car to rent, and best place to rent? Insurance? I'd love to find a one-stop website for driving in Italy info.
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Same side. You will need an International Driving Permit that you can get at AAA (the IDP is a translation of your driving license, which you must also have with you in addtion to the IDP).

My favorite rental sites are www.novarentacar.com, www.gemut.com, and www.autoeurope.com. We've had good experiences with all three.
Feb 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM

There is a site that translate English to other languages. I thought about making a copy of my drivers license, then going thru the tranlsation thing. Do you think they would accept that?
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Shirley,

NO.

The IDP is an official UN (United Nations Convention on Road Traffic) and US State Department endorsed document. In the USA only the AAA is authorized to issue it. It costs $10 plus two passport pictures and takes about 10 minutes to get, if you have a valid drivers license.

Feb 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM

This was discussed in another thread today at:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34942336

You can also order the permit on-line from the National Automobile Club. Same price and rules as AAA. You definitely should have this for Italy and not some other ad hoc translation of your license. Some countries aren't as strict but apparently Italy is.
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM

BTW, no question is "dumb". If you haven't traveled to a particular region or country you won't know all the ins and outs without asking . It's the people who don't ask that are dumb.

I also like kemwel.com (which is a sister company to autoeurope.com). Their prices seem to be a little cheaper. Both of those companies offer what you asked for, one stop shopping for your rental car. Their rental price is prepaid and includes the necessary insurance.

The Slow Travel website has lots of great information about driving in Italy:
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/index.htm