Dubrovnik - Korcula - Split - Days and Ferries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2023, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming back again for more awesome Fodors help on next September's Croatia trip. Please comment on the below high level itinerary. Any glaring problems? Is that too much time in Split? Any pitfall with the ferries? My on;y regret is that this itinerary doesn't seem to allow us to visit any of Croatia's amazing national parks. Thanks in advance.

Tue Sept 5 -
6:10 pm - Depart Washington DC.
Wed Sept 6 -
Layover in Frankfurt
12:10pm - Arrive in Dubrovnik
Thur Sept 7 - Sat Sept 9 -
Dubrovnik and area
Sun Sept 10 -
7am Catamaran to Korcula
Mon Sept 11 - Tue Sept 12
Korcula
Wed Sept 13
1pm Catamaran to Spit
Thur Sept 14 - Fri Sept 15
Split
Sat Sept 16
7:20am Depart Split
1:35pm Back in Washington DC
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 10:15 PM

Given your 8 days, I think this is a good, evenly spaced plan for each town/area, Split included. You could even take a daytrip to Krka from Split on one of those days if you're so inclined, actually, since you're interested in their national parks. It does get very busy, of course, but you can pre-purchase tickets (can't recall if they're timed. Check their website) and plan accordingly. Earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon is best, especially if there are cruise ships docked in Split or Sibenik.

Trogir is a good option from Split, too. I think you could get away with going to Krka or Trogir, but not both if you also want to actually see Split. YMMV, and perhaps others here may disagree.

Ferries: I have used both Jadrolinja and Krilo on all of my trips to Croatia. No pitfalls. If weather is extremely bad, they may not run, but we can't predict that. Otherwise, the ferries are reliable, run efficiently, and IMHO pretty relaxing.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - very helpful. I didn't realize Krka was within striking distance of Split.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 07:03 AM

Catamarans (which are probably what you will be taking) are the vessels that can be cancelled in very bad weather. Car ferries almost always run, it would have to take extreme weather for those to be cancelled. Krilo operates catamarans, not car ferries. But weather should not be an issue, If it becomes one, have a back up plan. Worst case, you get a ride somewhere to pick up a car ferry.

Krka is a couple of hours from Split on a bus, plus waiting time. That’s a lot of sitting on a bus for one day. There are lots of agencies in Split, maybe one has a day tour that makes a couple of other stops. Trogir is much closer, and there is a seasonal passenger ferry that goes between Split and Trogir called Bura Line. But there is plenty to do in Split for two days without going anywhere.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 10:13 AM

I think it's a good itinerary, too! And it is NOT too much time in Split. Split is a beautiful city architecturally and especially with its location on the Adriatic. The riva (the seaside boardwalk) is very pretty and lively and bustling. It's a great place to have a drink and admire the view. I recommend hiring a tour guide for a walking tour of Diocletian's Palace and Old Town. We hired Maja Benzon, recommended by Rick Steves. She grew up in Split so she is very knowledgeable, warm and friendly. We visited the very interesting Ethnographic Museum. And we did visit Trogir for about 3/4 of a day.