Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dubrovnik Accomodation Question: Better to Stay within City Wall or Have View?

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are in the midst of planning our Croatia trip for this November. We narrowed our search down to two apartments, and both look nice, so we are trying to determine which one would be better. One of them is within Dubrovnik's historic walls, the other about a 5-10 minute walk from the historic center but with what looks to be a great ocean view. I'm hoping that someone who has been there can give me some advice. If it helps, I've included the links for the two apartments we are interested in below.

http://www.dubrovnik-amoret.com/dubr..._revelin.html#
http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/apartments_antonela/

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:22 AM

I stayed at the Excelsior, south of the Old Town - private terrace, picture perfect view of the Old Town, had breakfast every morning on the terrace watching the sun work its way up the Old Town walls, had a bottle of wine at sunset on the terrace - the view was great. However - I do think there would be certain charms to staying inside the walls of the Old Town. I'll take a look at your links and get back...
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:34 AM

I'd go for the one outside, with a view of the walled city. I've walked along that road and the views are spectacular, especially the sunsets. Also, not far from where you will be, and right on the main road that you will be walking between your apartment and the city is the Dubrovnik Gallery of Contemporary Art. Well worth a visit.

I stayed in a sobe that was 2 minutes outside the pile gate in the opposite directuion to where you will be. My bedroom window overlooked a small turquoise bay and I could see the up-lit city walls from my pillow at night.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:37 AM

of the two - the view from Antonela looks great, though stairs may be an issue (I think the stair master was invented in Croatia)
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both very much for your responses. Carta_Pisana, I do agree that there is probably a certain charm to staying within the historic walls, which is why I am so torn!

Mathieu, I agree about the views. I would love a beautiful view, and I like how close it is to the old city. Right now I'm leaning towards the one with the view, unless anyone else has any comments....

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:48 AM

The views! I had a fantastic view from my balcony of the old walled city and it was one of my favorite things.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

LOL Carta_Pisana! I heard that Dubrovnik is full of stairs! Luckily DH and I are in decent shape, although I will admit that the stair climber is the machine that I avoid the most while at the gym. Perhaps we can use all the stairs as an excuse to eat more!

I think we'll go with Antonela. Thank you both!

Tracy
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:55 AM

I just looked at the website, that is HIGH. It seems a good deal higher than my balcony at Villa Argentina. Do be prepared for stairs!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Catbert, thanks for your comments! Yikes...I hope it won't be horrible. I'm having not-so-pleasant flashbacks of a hotel we stayed at in Rome a few years back. The elevator was "broke" (and appeared to be that way for quite some time) and we had to lug our luggages up three or four flights to get to the hotel. Now, this was in my days of packing too much (I've since learned) but I dreaded going back there every night!

Well, hopefully the view will be worth it! I am about to send them an e-mail. Perhaps I should inquire about that?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:06 AM

Tracy:

Hard choice for sure as they both look great. I've decided to stay inside the walls because I want to experience the feel of living in the old part of town in an old charming building. The apt. with the view, while beautiful and the view awesome, looks too modern and it could be an apt. anywhere. Also, I think for me, it would be nice to be able to just walk to a restaurant in Old Town and maybe to somewhere for a nightcap before walking back to the apt. in the evening. You can't go wrong with either one though as they are both lovely.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:41 AM

definitely ask about the stairs (though take their answer with a bit of salt) - like Catbert said, that view is pretty high up
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:47 AM

Hi, just returned from there this week. Ask them if the antonela apartment is above or below Petra Kresimura St. Ours was just above that and I decided that I would recommend to others not to be much higher than that. I am age 50, active but not a climber or in totally great shape and I did the 10 min walk or so with one rest up. Sometimes 3 x a day. I would SO VOTE for the view I can't tell you. First the city looks totally different in day vs. night and its enchanting. Dubrovnik old city is rather small and I feel like you would be too contained visitng and staying within the walls. You really want something a little different for part of the time. We were supposed to travel onto split and once we got on our patio all 4 agreed we were staying there for the rest of the trip. Also I like that side of the old city (ploce gate vs. pile gate) for staying. YOurs seems closer to the old city than ours in terms of how far south it is. We had breakfast at the B and B; bought burek sandwiches at the bakery or grocery store to take to the beach. Very nice beach just below your area. Has a very cool bar that provides cover for a bit when you need a break from the sun. THe old port - piers with some island transport right there as well. Good luck. Jeri
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:10 AM

Tracy- just came across your thread - Apt Antonela 1 is the apartment we rented for our trip in September! We made all the arrangements last December and have had a few emails back an forth with Ljubica, who has been just great. Apparently there is a bus that comes somewhere near the apt for the way up if needed (I think I should be ok on the way down, LOL)and a taxi from Ploce gate to the apt is 40 kuna.

I was totally into the view myself and that is why I chose this spot. The balcony will be a great spot for coffee in the morning and martinis at night, just like the Croatians do, (to paraphrase a Billy Joel song). The apt is 2.5 years old and while not so distinctively "Croatian" as far as I can tell, it looks spacious and nice. Since I will have a car, it is a plus that there is a place to park it there. Also, unlike some other spots in town, there was no expensive requirement to wire money to confirm a reservation.

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:16 AM

PS - we must have very similar tastes - I also had exchanged emails with Branka at Apt Amoret, but decided in favor of Antonela.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:09 AM

hi.. putting in my 2cents.. I would opt for the view, and definitely when I go back, I will be staying on the Ploce Gate side vs. Pile Gate. We went for some great walks both directions, but would have really appreciated the terrace views with morning coffee. (as it was, we just went for a long, straight up walk - which was fun too!)
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Syl

Tracy & Happy Cheesehead,
Ljubica of Antonela Apts. just wrote me back.Great price at 45 euros per night for last week in Sept.Did she say that there's a grocery store nearby because breakfast isn't provided? Are there restaurants nearby? I'm also concerned about the uphill walk. How far is the walk exactly from the old town entrance?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

HappyCheesehead, I found that apartment by reading that you were thinking about staying there, and that you started from the bottom of the list on the Dubrovnik-Online website because there were so many to choose from! I checked it out and fell in love with the view so we decided to go for it as well. You'll have to give us an update when you get back from your trip!

Syl, according to the website for Apartments Antonela, the old town, restaurants and a supermarket are within a 5-10 minute walk of the apartments. Hopefully that is fairly accurate!

I now have it reserved for November and I'm so excited!

Tracy
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Heywaitaminute Syl!

How did you get 45 euro per night? I am being charged 80!!! That is the price being listed on their site - I did not ask for a discount, maybe I should have. I am going early in Sept , maybe they charge less later?

Tracy - what was your rate?

And I will be happy to report back on the apt. Doesn't that view look great!!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

HappyCheesehead, I was wondering about that myself. I was quoted a rate is 50 euros. I'm assuming mine would be cheaper than yours because we are going during off-season, but it still doesn't make sense why Syl got a rate of 45 euros, especially since you will be there during the same month! That is a pretty big difference! Perhaps he/she did some bartering to get a lower price?

Tracy
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM

We will be in Dubrovnik in Sept and will be staying in the historic center (Hotel Stari Grad) and also outside the walls (Hotel Argosy)so we will have the best of both. I am looking forward to seeing the city as well as the interesting sights outside. We are in the process now of arranging with a driver to take us to either Mostar or Kotor (or maybe both). We also plan to spend time in Catvat and ofcourse Korcula.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -