Dublin Hotels

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Claire Devlin

Dublin Hotels

Can anyone recommend a good hotel for a few nights in November. Would like to be central, but stay in a nice place during our stay. We are swayed at the moment between the following hotel:-

George Frederick Handel
Royal Dublin Hotel
Jury Inn Christchurch

Help in choosing needed.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Cathy

Claire,
I would opt for Jurys Inn as it is excellent value for money, central enough and opposite the Christchurch cathedral. It is about 2 to 3 minutes walk to Trinty and a bit more to the Guinness Brewery and about 5 minutes wlak to Grafton Street (the main shopping street on the southside of the river). The Royal Dublin is on O'Connell Street - the main street in Dublin but it is noisy although 2 minutes walk to Trinty and one minute to the Writer's Museum and while very central I would prefer Jurys for comfort, surroundings and value. Around the corner from Jurys is Burdoch's Chip shop - the best fresh fish and chips in Dublin. The Handel Hotel is in the Temple Bar are which is the party spot of Dublin and very noisy.

Hope this helps. post if yu have any more queries,

Cathy

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Kate

I stayed in Jury's last year, and never will again. Sure, it was cheap, but the room was dirty, the walls were paper thin, the pipes banged, and I really didn't think the location was that great. Try the Gresham. Can't beat the location, and they've redone all of the rooms over the past few years.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Fwhiteside

I have stayed several times in Jury's Inn during a work assignment to Guinness. In my opinion Jury's is no better than 'OK'. If you get a room at the front of the hotel Then the noise from the main road & the Cathedral bells can be intrusive. ( Stayed over with my Wife one weekend - the bells on Sunday morning were unbelievable ). One thing to be said in it's favour is that it does not have a nightclub ( which seems to be obligatory in some Dublin hotels ) to disturb your sleep. Two Hotels I preferred to Jury's were the Arlington ( North side of the Liffey near O'Connel Bridge - huge beds - good food ) & the Grafton Plaza ( Near Grafton Street ). Both these hotels have nightclubs so I always asked for a room as near to the top of the hotel as possible. I have also stayed at Bewley's hotel in Temple Bar - very convenient for this area but the hotel is not impressive.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 02:31 AM
topper

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Cathy

Claire,
It is me again, I haven't had any major problems with Jurys but if you decide against it and are not confined to your other two options then I would recommend either the Shelbourne Hotel on Stephens Green or the Westbury just off Grafton Street - both are very central. I would advise against staying on OÇonnell Street - not the best street at night in Dublin.
Have a great time,

Cathy